PDA

View Full Version : Isp??

Blazin
06-23-2004, 01:37 PM
I am looking to change my ISP. I use dial up just because its cheaper and I don't really need it to be super fast. Could you guys
recommend a good Dial up ISP.

geckosurfer
07-01-2004, 08:44 PM
It all depends on what you want. I've used AOL & Earthlink in the past and would pick Earthlink. But what's available? What does your local phone/tv company offer? Perhaps they have a better alternative? RoadRunner is another one (I believe) they have dial-up. Right down you needs and start calling for the best offer at the best price.

Good Luck.

WebSlave
07-01-2004, 09:07 PM
I would check out their spam and email blocking policies THOROUGHLY, if I were you. Especially if you are planning on getting your business related emails through them. Some ISPs will block emails based on some arbitrary criteria. For instance, that last mailing I did for Jason Sweigart got blocked by many Earthlink subscribers:

This is an automatic reply to your email message to xxx6114@mindspring.com

This email address is protected by EarthLink spamBlocker. Your email message has been redirected to a "suspect email" folder for xxx6114@mindspring.com. In order for your message to be moved to this recipient's Inbox, he or she must add your email address to a list of allowed senders.

Click the link below to request that xxx6114@mindspring.com add you to this list.

Do you think I took the time to click that offered link for all of those members? Heck no. So that (and others) person doesn't even know about that message going out to them.

Now if people are trying to contact you in order to do business with you, they may very well be turned away by such treatment, and you will likely never know about it.

There is some GOOD spam blocking software, and some BAD. The bad stuff winds up causing more harm than good, in some cases.

If it were me, I would instruct my ISP to allow everything through to me and I would be the one to determine which emails were valid or not.

IMHO.

geckosurfer
07-02-2004, 07:47 AM
The other general recommendation: don't distribute your e-mail address arbitrarily. For sites that I am unsure of, I give a hotmail or yahoo account. That way, anything that comes in doesn’t get dropped to my local pc (provided you access online) and I can delete as needed. I just cleared 150 items out of one account (all in a days work).