PDA

View Full Version : Melissa

Melle
06-25-2004, 11:24 PM
Hey all,

Just thought I would introduce myself. Here is me! Unfortunately I have no pics of me with any of my critters, though.

Name's Melissa, and I live in michigan. I'm 20 years old. Went to college for 2.5 years for art ed and decided to take some time off and go back for zoology. I've only kept herps for about 4 years but i have had pets all my life.

Currently I have 6 leopard geckos (2 of which I hatched myself.), a bearded dragon, a savannah monitor, a crested gecko, a hog island boa, and an anole for reptiles. I've also got a chinchilla, 2 ferrets, a cat, and a betta fish.

Hobbies dont include much :p I basically just care for my pets and work. I also do art in my spare time and I paint custom pics of people's pets. Thanks for reading! :)

NEWReptiles
06-26-2004, 12:34 AM
Pleasure to meet you Melissa, welcome to the forums.

I think you will enjoy this place, and make sure you check out the leo forums as there are alot of folks here that work with them.

kenster
06-26-2004, 01:24 AM
Welcome to the forums. Always nice to "meet" another reptile person from the great mitten state! This is a great place with lots of great people...well other than that realvenum guy;)

Al, you know it's odd, there could be 10 new posts here a day of guys and not one time you would say "welcome" but sure enough a woman posts here and you're the first reply...Go figure

NEWReptiles
06-26-2004, 01:15 PM
I don't understand Ken, but if it makes you feel better, welcome to the forums.

Melle
06-26-2004, 09:47 PM
Come on guys, no bickering :) Where is michigan are you from? I'm in the lansing area right now (it sucks, dont ever go there. no one knows how to drive.).

geckosurfer
06-27-2004, 08:47 PM
LANSING????? omg--everyone is from Lansing. I'm not but a good friend of mine is!! Are you born, bred, currently stuck or passing through?

Is someone singing "it's a small world"????

Melle
06-28-2004, 12:11 AM
I would consider myself currently stuck. i started goin to MSU but im takin some time off for a while, dont know when im goin back. but i still am living out here and probably will be for a while. I'm originally from the detroit area- dearborn heights and sterling heights.

geckosurfer
06-28-2004, 04:37 PM
whoa is you. from my friend who grew up their, he is currently mourning you stuckedness and hoping for a quick escape. ;)

Melle
06-29-2004, 12:28 AM
LOL, tell your friend thanks :p hehe. I at first hated, HATED it out here. Theres nothing to do, no one can drive properly, the roads are all crap, they dont salt the streets even when we get 20 inches of snow, the list goes on. But looks like im gonna be stuck here for a lil while. I've kinda gotten used to it, only its always refreshing when i go visit my parents in sterling heights :)

Stardust
06-29-2004, 12:56 AM
Welcome Melle, I too am here in MI but I live higher, like around the Traverse City area. We get salted streets here that make our cars look like crap after a few years, but hey.... :)

Melle
06-29-2004, 01:02 AM
Hi Stardust :)
Nice to see another fellow michigander! I LOVE Traverse city. before i moved away from home we used to go camping up there every year- such a beautiful city.

And i would much rather have a car that looked like crap from the salt than sliding all over the roads and going 5 miles an hour through 5 inches of snow on the road ;)

kenster
06-29-2004, 06:31 PM
Sorry for the long delay, been one of those weeks...

I am in Clio, just north of Flint. Oh I remember those trips to MSU every weekend..I used to date a freshman there and of course she had no car. And of course me being a huge UofM fan it always pained me to see that place:D Although I will say they do know how to party there;)

Ken Harbart
06-29-2004, 09:41 PM
A bekated welcome...

It really is a small world. I was born and raised in St Clair Shores, but left MI when I enlisted in 1996. In 2000, I moved back, and settled in Sterling Heights (17 1/2 & Van Dyke area). All in all, it wasn't that bad of a place to be, and I sometimes miss it.

There's a few things that I don't miss about MI, however...

1) The roads are always under construction, but never seem to get any better. I never really bothered clearing snow off my car... the potholes knocked it off for me.

2) Bitter cold and snow. There's something seriously wrong when you need to have your furnace running in June. Likewise, heavy snowfalls in April are a bit of a turn off. Frostbite & hypothermia are two things I'd prefer not to experience again.

3) Did I mention snow? Spinning out on Hall Road is another one of those things that I care not to experience again. Also, sliding sideways down the road doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling, either.

4) Insanely aggressive drivers. I used to think Florida drivers were bad until I moved down here and noted that it was Michiganders and other snowbirds causing most of the accidents.

5) Boulevard turnarounds at major intersections (Sterling Heights is real good for this one). Just give me a left turn lane and make life less complicated. Going through an intersection, driving a short distance, making a u-turn, and then going back to the intersection just to make your turn is a bit much.

6) State income tax and high fees for many things. In MI, I was paying $93 a year just for my plates. I've been told the fees have risen dramatically since I left.

I still go back there to visit every now and again. I was just up there for Father's Day and couldn't believe how much some things have changed in the past year.

Stardust
06-30-2004, 12:01 AM
WOW, I don't have that problem in the TC area, EXCEPT the snow, but hey, I love the four season, just wish winter can be shortened and summer can be longer.;)
Going to the cherry fest?

beakgeek
06-30-2004, 12:26 AM

Is that why all those guys live in MI???? ;-)

We have a pin cherry tree here in MN that makes awesome pin cherry jelly. This year we are going to attempt some pin cherry wine!

Regards,

Terry

kenster
06-30-2004, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by Stardust
WOW, I don't have that problem in the TC area, EXCEPT the snow, but hey, I love the four season, just wish winter can be shortened and summer can be longer.;)

You guys get snow up ther Ro?;) All that good ice fishing...

Back to longer summer...when is that going to get here almost July and still not summer...go figure, that's why we love MI

Stardust
06-30-2004, 01:31 AM
I know Ken, what is up with that? Some really nice days in JUNE and that is all we get. What a tease MI is.

kenster
06-30-2004, 01:34 AM
No kidding, but watch come Sept. and everyone will still be in shorts. Oh well who needs a summer anyway?

Melle
06-30-2004, 04:44 PM
Ken Harbert- Thats where I lived in sterling heights to, the 17 and van dyke area, lol. well, 17 and dodge park actually (in between van dyke and shoennerr.) My parent still live there. I vist quite a bit. What a small world :p I HATE hall road. havent spun out on it, but i have on shoenerr once, on my way to hall road, haha.

There seems to be a lot of us on here from MI! :)

tropheusfreak
07-04-2004, 01:33 AM
Come give MN a visit:D It's nice here.

David

tropheusfreak
07-04-2004, 01:59 AM
Come give MN a visit:D It's nice here.

David

Melle
07-04-2004, 03:28 PM
I wish! I need a vacation :) lol

Dragondad
07-13-2004, 08:46 PM
I know you have had plenty of response from the other Michiganders. So anyway, Hello, I am in Grand Rapids. Not that far but just as much a duck out of water here. Drop me an email sometime we can discuss Western Michigan weather....or at this point how hot and humid it is.....

sirenofthestorm
07-31-2004, 03:13 PM
looks like I'm pretty late to the conversation, but I grew up in Kentwood (SE side of Grand Rapids) and now live in the Ypsi Arbor area.

I spent the 02 03 school year in Austin, TX at UT, and it made me really appreciate Michigan, especially considering how much I HATED living here before I went to Texas. Looking back, Michigan - even the Detroit and Ann Arbor scene - is pretty boring compared to Austin and Houston, but I really like the kindness of the people that live here. The whole "each man to himself" mentality really got me down, I don't think I could live in the south unless there was a strong northern transplant like in Florida or Arizona.

Besides, its not really a friday night unless you go to Meijers now is it, eh, eh? ;)

-Whit

Melle
08-01-2004, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by sirenofthestorm

Besides, its not really a friday night unless you go to Meijers now is it, eh, eh? ;)

Truer words were never spoken :) hehe. i dont know WHAT i would do without Meijers.

kiote9
06-18-2005, 08:32 PM
Kalamazoo area here!

It's great to see how many other Michiganders post here!!

It's also nice to know that SOMEONE else feels better about Michigan after moving to another state. I lived in Indiana for 1 1/2 years and Florida for 3 years. I am staying in Michigan for the rest of my life....winter isn't THAT long.

We need a monthly reptile show in a more central location so all of us can meet chat and buy reptiles. I go to the Valparaiso, IN show every month to buy live feeders and chat up people. Casey Hulse suggested the Taylor, MI show, but I haven't made it over there yet.

I didn't know they don't salt in Lansing! They do over here.

Who but a Michigander would understand the importance of Meijer???????

Thanks for posting Melle! It took me a long time to find this thread, but it put a smile on my face!!

Nate
06-19-2005, 05:11 AM
I just moved back to SE Michigan this past fall after living in Chicago for the last 5 years. I've lived in many parts of the country, but I always return here. There must be something...

We need a monthly reptile show in a more central location so all of us can meet chat and buy reptiles. I go to the Valparaiso, IN show every month to buy live feeders and chat up people. Casey Hulse suggested the Taylor, MI show, but I haven't made it over there yet.

The Taylor show is pretty descent and it beats the old East Lansing show if anybody remembers that one (even though Jerry is a swell guy). It is definitley up and coming in my opinion. Cheers to all the Michiganders!

DAND
06-19-2005, 05:23 AM
The Taylor show is pretty good. I attend every month. Feel free to stop on by and introduce yourselves. Just look for the long haired hippie. I'm usually across from Casey. Though I don't live there now I used to live in Michigan (Livonia) for about 20 years. Go WINGS! [There better be Hockey this year!]

Melle
06-27-2005, 11:08 PM
Thanks for posting Melle! It took me a long time to find this thread, but it put a smile on my face!!

No problem! I posted this thread a loooong time ago, lol. but its great to see how many michiganders keep herps!! :)

So I should look for the long haired hippie huh? Lol. I attend as many taylor shows as i can, and i was at the last 3 of them. i'm sure ive seen you before and you probably have seen me....maybe. :p although I dont think i know who Casey is, i just know people by face.

Melle
06-27-2005, 11:13 PM
Wait, i know who Casey Hulse is :p I bought my savannah monitor from them a little over a year ago. And he's doin great :)

DAND
06-28-2005, 05:17 AM
So I should look for the long haired hippie huh? Lol. I attend as many taylor shows as i can, and i was at the last 3 of them. i'm sure ive seen you before and you probably have seen me....maybe. :p although I dont think i know who Casey is, i just know people by face.

Well hopefully you'll be able to make the next one (July 9th). I'll be there. :)

DAND
07-10-2005, 07:05 PM
Where was Melissa yesterday?

I met Nate and Shelly yesterday, but no Melissa. :(

Nate, it was nice meeting you. I'm sure I'll see you at the next show.

Shelly, again, it was nice meeting you. If you don't make it to the next shows in Taylor, it's looking like I'll be doing the one out by you in November, so I'm sure I'll see you then. ;)

Nate
07-11-2005, 12:37 AM

It was a pleasure meeting you too. I should be setting up at most of the upcoming Taylor shows and I am considering the Kalamazoo show as well.

kiote9
07-11-2005, 12:19 PM
Where was Melissa yesterday?

I met Nate and Shelly yesterday, but no Melissa. :(

Shelly, again, it was nice meeting you. If you don't make it to the next shows in Taylor, it's looking like I'll be doing the one out by you in November, so I'm sure I'll see you then. ;)

I see how you are! You reply here but don't post on MY thread!! LOL

I'm sure we will meet again. I'll probably have a table at the Kalamazoo show, if for no reason other than to have an excuse to hang out :hehe:

MELISSA!!! There is going to be a show in Kalamazoo on November 19!

Melle
07-11-2005, 01:15 PM
I'm sorry guys! Melissa had to work the day of the show :( It sucked! BUT, I'm gonna write off the next one so i will definately look for everyone! Just have your names somewhere so I know, since I have not a clue what you all look like, lol ;)

OOh, a Kalamazoo show? I'll make sure I go to that one too :)

kiote9
07-11-2005, 03:09 PM
Hey Melle,

The people I know are easy to spot. I am the tall blond amazon with the tattoos, Casey is the tall sandy blond (short-haired) mustachioed fella with the short blond (cute) wife called Darla, and Dave is the long haired hippie who is usually across from Casey...LOL Dave is the long (dark) haired guy with the long (dark) goatee and the huge dark brown eyes. You'd know him if you saw him. Although a picture would help....hint, hint..... :rotflmao:

I'm hoping to be at the next Taylor show if for no reason other than to be annoying. It's a hobby :shrug01: I'm pretty good at it. That and I might need some Tokays. I might need a couple depending on whether or not my male is a male.

Later!

Melle
07-12-2005, 07:26 PM
Ya know, now that I think about it i'm sure i've seen you before. And, I bought my savannah monitor from casey and darla about a year ago. :)

I *think* I might possibly know who Dave is, but yes a pic would help, hehe. i'm just tryin to picture what you mean by "across" because I know exactly where nature's spirit's table always is, is he behind them across, or next to them across? :p Bah, Im sure i've seen him. Probably even talked to him, heh.

DAND
07-12-2005, 08:06 PM
Dave is the long (dark) haired guy with the long (dark) goatee and the huge dark brown eyes. You'd know him if you saw him. Although a picture would help....hint, hint..... :rotflmao:

I don't really think a picture would help but if you think it will then here you go. :dgrin:

kiote9
07-12-2005, 09:36 PM
YES! That is exactly how I remember you!

No wait.....no eyes. I WANT EYES!!!! And legs, and.....well, just submit a real pic.

Can't be any worse than this one! (Don't ask a 10 year old kid to take pics, they have no sense of timing. Of course, if I was AWAKE I'd probably be more photogenic.) I love my big dark snake..

Melle
07-14-2005, 12:08 PM
That's not fair, Dave! I need a face pic. :p Cause I think I recognize you, but then again I dont know.

What a pretty snake, Shelley!

Here is me and that savannah monitor from the Hulse's. I just woke up, he just woke up, hair's still not brushed from after my shower (so its cropped out, haha), not the best photogenic moment either, heh. And, I had to take it myself.

We need a better pic, Dave!

kiote9
07-14-2005, 08:21 PM
Just remember, Melissa, if all of your pictures look bad you'll look fantastic when people meet you in person! I don't think I've EVER submitted a good pic of myself on a forum.

Now the pictures of the snakes are a totally different story! I don't take them with me in public so the pic is all there is to show what they look like.

That's a very nice monitor you have there! I may have an 8 ft. snake, but Savs get too big for me....I guess it's the claws and tail that worry me. Your monitor seems very content! You must take very good care of it.

The snake in the pic above is my MoonShadow, the 8'5" black bellied boa. I got him from Casey. He is an absolute sweetheart, and is great to nap with. I'm starting to think that boas are just big sleep aids....I fall asleep every time I sit/lie down with one.

I guess David isn't going to share his visage with the rest of us. Go to the next show Melissa, you'll see him. Bring a camera...... :D

Melle
09-09-2005, 05:34 PM
I'm finally going to get to go to Taylor again tomorrow! Lol. I havnt gone in a few months. I probably wont pick up any critters that arent the frozen rodent kind this time though. Since I will be at Tinley Park next month, maybe i will get someting from there ;)

DAND
09-09-2005, 06:04 PM
Glad to hear it. :D Don't forget to look me up. Shelly will be there too with a friend.

kiote9
09-10-2005, 08:27 PM
Hey Melle!!!

I didn't get there till after 12....were you there?

I'll probably be there next month if I can swing it. Didn't buy anything today and still need a little boy BCI.

Melle
09-11-2005, 02:25 PM
Hi Shelley!

I left there at about 12:30, sicne I had to get back in town to work. we didnt even stay for very long this time. So we missed each other :/ I was actually lookin for the Nature's Spirit table but they werent there this time? Since you said you talk to them a lot. All I bought was more frozen critters and some silworms, gonna try those out and see how they do. :) Anyhoo, David where are you usually at?

I probably wont be at the next one, since I am most likely gonna go to the Tinley Park one in Chicago that day.

DAND
09-11-2005, 03:26 PM
Hi Shelley!

I left there at about 12:30, sicne I had to get back in town to work. we didnt even stay for very long this time. So we missed each other :/ I was actually lookin for the Nature's Spirit table but they werent there this time? Since you said you talk to them a lot. All I bought was more frozen critters and some silworms, gonna try those out and see how they do. :) Anyhoo, David where are you usually at?

I probably wont be at the next one, since I am most likely gonna go to the Tinley Park one in Chicago that day.

I'm usually across from Nature's Sprit but this time I was in their space since they weren't there.

Below, the L are the tables against the left wall, the X is where Nature's Spirit are located, the X is where I'm located.

L X X X R
L X X X R
L X X X R

kiote9
09-11-2005, 07:49 PM
Oh trust me Melle, you'll know him when you see him where ever he sits (although Casey being there right across from him provides a safe place to retreat to), you just want to run the other way.....

David really DOES look devilish. But good looking enough to make it seem worthwhile!

(It could just be the Electric Blue Koolaide-Jello shots talking!)

Melle
09-11-2005, 07:59 PM
(It could just be the Electric Blue Koolaide-Jello shots talking!)

Mmm.... I'm jealous. Those are yummy. :p

But ok, i got where you were sitting, I guess I just didnt see ya! I guess some other show...maybe Kalamazoo? I picked up the flyer.

kiote9
09-11-2005, 08:15 PM
Yes Melle!!! Please come to the Kal show! I'll give you my cell # if you need any travel info or ANYTHING!

I'll be hanging out at the show most of the day...took it off work.