PDA

View Full Version : ILL Fire Bellied Toad!Please,it's about feeding!

GeckoToad
06-29-2004, 08:50 PM
He is about two years old,and the smallest of the three.He lives with two other toads(of the same species)and one Gold Dust Day Gecko.They are all very healthy.He has gotten very thin,his tail bone even juts from his back.He still swims and hops around some,but isn't aggressive wnough to fight for his food.I could really use some expert advice,I don't want him to get worse or get hurt!

GeckoToad
06-29-2004, 09:16 PM
Anyone?

Philly_215
06-30-2004, 08:27 PM
i would suggest to you to put him in a tank by himself for awhile... you say he is not aggressive enough to get food... basically its survival of the fittest... the others are "fitter" than he is and the competition for the food is too much...2 yrs. is a long time for that guy to be around so I would just do that... trust me... as soon as he sees movement from the cricket he will go for it... and with noone else to fight over it with he ll eat it right up... once he gains his weight back... reintroduce him into the community tank...

Devious_bunny
07-05-2004, 03:38 PM
If he is indeed sick (probbaly not the case in your situation) there IS lots you can do for him!! Most importantly take him to a vet!!! they can give him the meds he will need to survive, or if you cannot find a vet, you can post all possible symptoms and causes of illness on here and order some meds on line. these little guys are by NO MEANS DISPOSABLE PETS, and they deserve the same medical treatment you would give a cat or dog, and if you are not willing to provide this you should not have purchased them. sorry if that came off harsh, and it was in no way directed to the origional poster (who probbaly just needs to isolate his frog and fatten him up, and then if that dosent work then take him to a vet) but i just cant believe the number of people who dont even entertain the thought of taking a herp to the vet, you never see topics like "my dog is sick help..." on the mamal boards, because it is common knowledge to take it to the vet!

gr8fr0g
07-06-2004, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by Philly_215
i would suggest to you to put him in a tank by himself for awhile... you say he is not aggressive enough to get food... basically its survival of the fittest... the others are "fitter" than he is and the competition for the food is too much...2 yrs. is a long time for that guy to be around so I would just do that... trust me... as soon as he sees movement from the cricket he will go for it... and with noone else to fight over it with he ll eat it right up... once he gains his weight back... reintroduce him into the community tank...

I would have said the same thing! If one out of a group isn't eating or growing, the best thing you can do for him is to seperate when feeding...

ehones1
03-28-2009, 06:30 PM
hi ive got a fire bellied toad and i have had it for a few months know but in the last week has stopped eating but has become very big i had a problem like that a few years ago and it died.So i wander if theres anything i can do , i feed it the right amount of food and am just wondering.

nyltiv
04-13-2009, 06:04 PM
re:feeding fire-bellied toad.
I have a 19 yr. old!! I have always put him into a small plastic container (with holes punched in lid) for feeding, then put him back in tank.