PDA

View Full Version : largest in the world

Philly_215
06-30-2004, 08:42 PM
hey just a quick question... i remember this reptile store in my area a couple years ago that had chameleons the size of small cats. So what is the largest chameleons?

JasonDescamps
06-30-2004, 11:03 PM
c. parsonii are probably the largest overall. Melleri and oustaleti are also very large species sometimes reaching close to 2 feet. Even male veileds can top 15".

elago
07-01-2004, 12:05 PM
Male veileds can top out much larger than that, although it is somewhat rare. I have a 22" breeder male veiled personally, and I've seen 23" specimens on several occasions. Usually adult males topping out around 12-15" is a sign of inbreeding in the lines, which affects the size of the animals, F1's have a tendency to be larger than F2's and on down the line. Oustalet's are considered the "longest" if I'm not mistaken, I was reading something about them last night of a male recorded measuring 33" in length, but that's a long and lanky chameleon species as a whole. Melleri can reach 30" in exceptional cases, and are a much bulkier large chameleon, though the largest melleri I ever saw was at the Dixie Reptile show and he was around 27". Usually, as far as pet shops go, if you saw a huge one, it was probably a melleri or perhaps an oustalet's, I doubt a pet shop would have a parsoni showcased due to their value and stress considerations (Which I agree with you, Jason, parson's are very massive and impresive chams (would like to buy some some day *sigh* :)), but don't grow as long as the oustalet's). -Eric Lago *MS Reptilian Hobbyists*
http://msreptilianhobbyists.fabpage.com

JasonDescamps
07-01-2004, 12:19 PM
You have a male veiled that is 22" SVL?

elago
07-01-2004, 12:23 PM
Not SVL, total length, I've never seen a male veiled longer than 24" total length... Your post did not specify SVL or total length, and the above posts are total length including tail in all three species, sorry, I should have clarified that, thanks for pointing that out. -Eric Lago *MS Reptilian Hobbyists*
http://msreptilianhobbyists.fabpage.com

JasonDescamps
07-01-2004, 12:45 PM
Not at all. I just never specify for some reason. Most of the folks I deal with use the SVL measurement as a standard.

SpiralTailRanch
07-06-2004, 05:36 AM
Originally posted by Philly_215
hey just a quick question... i remember this reptile store in my area a couple years ago that had chameleons the size of small cats. So what is the largest chameleons?

I would say that the chameleon you say was most likely a Mullers chameleon (C. Melleri) They are very common in the commercial pet trade and are very large. Mine, Gordy, if very large, aproximatley 2 feet.

Here is a picture on Anthony's manly arm. Is this anything like the one you saw?