PDA

View Full Version : Heat tape placement

Lucille
07-08-2004, 07:14 AM
Is it possible to put heat tape inside rather than under cages (my cage bottoms are 1" pine).

Clay Davenport
07-08-2004, 09:07 AM
All of my wooden cages that are heated with flexwatt have it inside the cage.
Some insist this is dangerous, but I have used this method for years and if that is your heating method of choice, there's little alternative.

A few requirements come with placing the tape inside the cage.
It must be on a thermostat, no way around it.
The connections must be completely sealed with silocone to make them waterproof. Just taping them or using the plastic insulators would allow water from a spilled dish to contact the electrical points.

I also silicone the flexwatt itself to the floor of the cage. This prevents the snake from getting under it and using it as a hide spot. It also makes cage cleaning easier.
It's far better than using tape inside the enclosure. Tape will eventually get stuck on the snake and using it inside the cage is asking for problems.

Lucille
07-08-2004, 10:47 AM
I have a case of inustrial grade silicone sealant I am going to use later in the summer to put in wind turbines on my roof. Do you think I can use that, or do I have to buy silicone sealant made for aquariums and the like?

Clay Davenport
07-08-2004, 01:35 PM
I just use 100% silicone in a caulking tube. I don't bother with the aquarium grade.
Once it cures completely it no longer gives off fumes and isn't harmful to the snakes.