PDA

View Full Version : Veiled Egg laying info needed

dragonflyreptiles
07-12-2004, 04:50 PM
My veileds from Eric have mated and I need a little info and what and how to do all of this.

Can I let them lay the eggs outside (Temps here are 90+ day and 70+ Night)

I have their cages set up with good sand filled nest sites but would prefer to have them outside for the rest of the year esp sicne they enjoyed being outside at Erics.

Also, its really dry here, not much rain at all, how long and how often do I need to set their auto sprinklers to go on each day?

JasonDescamps
07-12-2004, 11:11 PM
Yes you can let them lay outside, just be sure you dig the eggs up and incubate them inside. Leaving them in sand is not good for long periods of time.

As far as water goes it all depends on your climate. If it's hot and dry try a few times a day for 3-7 minutes at a time. If it's more humid a few times a day for shorter intervals. It's difficult to say exactly as you kind of have to play it by ear. It;s also a good idea to give them a nice long shower once a week, 30 minutes plus if possible.

elago
07-13-2004, 10:01 AM
ABout right, I generally run a yard sprinkler on mine 3 times a day when it's REALLY hot like it has been all week, generally for about 10 minutes a day at midday, 10 minutes around 5 pm (the hottest part of the day here) then again at around 7:30 pm, and they do fine... I generally bring the veileds inside to lay however in a sand filled garbage can, I had one lay this morning actually, and 49 more perfect eggs laid over the weekend as well. The most important aspect of veiled breeding is keeping a VERY close eye on gravid females in my opinion, you really have to watch them closely and observe their habits in order to assess when the female is ready to lay. Generally, the best marker is observing the female hanging out around the floor of her outdoor enclosure, but the best marker is actually seeing the eggs in the belly of the veiled itself, when it comes time for her to lay you can actually feel and see the well formed eggs in the belly of the female, at which point she's within a day or two of laying. Some of my females came off of food a day or two before laying, but I've had other females that ate right up until they laid. -Eric Lago *MS Reptilian Hobbyists*
http://msreptilianhobbyists.fabpage.com