PDA

View Full Version : Reptarium?

Nemesis
07-13-2004, 08:27 PM
Does anyone have one of these and would you recomend it?

Thanks,
Hannah

jenn_jeffery
07-13-2004, 08:51 PM
I've had them before, still have one in storage I think, but wouldn't recommend it for all animals. What are you wanting to put in it?

SpiralTailRanch
07-13-2004, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Nemesis
Does anyone have one of these and would you recomend it?

Thanks,
Hannah

Reptariums are actually all that I use. They do have their downsides, but they are very light weight and very easy to clean.
You can take apart the frame and wash it in the dishwasher, and wash the screep cover in the washing machine.

They are also inexpensive, compared to most screen cages. If you are strictly in it for the looks, the other screen cages are better, but as for price, weight, and cleaning, I think the reptariums are the best.

I do have one of the other screen cages, the one with the door on front and a bottom door, So I have experienced both types.

Good luck!

Nemesis
07-13-2004, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by jenn_jeffery
What are you wanting to put in it?

Chameleons. :)

bpc
07-13-2004, 09:19 PM
Best "bang for the buck" screen cage on the market. ALL parts are replaceable! Try that with metal. Love em so much I started selling them.

jenn_jeffery
07-13-2004, 10:03 PM
They work great for chams, though don't let the heat light touch the mesh, it will burn/melt. Having too hot of one may cause the same problem, not sure on that.

If you want a display type cage--or one where you can see the chams easily, then look at the screen cages that Scales (www.exoticlizards.com I think) sells. Steven Beckerman also sells some (www.e2macpets.com I think.)

Nemesis
07-14-2004, 12:11 AM
I have 2 screen cages for my cams now but I am looking into getting a few more cages. Thank you for the links.

Jenn we have the same last name, spelled the same too. I have never seen someone else spelled like mine. :)

Seamus Haley
07-14-2004, 08:02 AM
I personally really dislike 'em, for what it might be worth... The threads fray and loosen (can catch toes) and the sides tear and rip too easily. A zipper isn't a secure closure method, they do, as was noted, melt and burn fairly easily and I have seen animals manage to injure themselves by wedging their body between the plastic pipes that form the frame and the material on the sides... then struggling once caught.

I favor building enclosures to suit the needs of the animal in question and cham enclosures are a piece of cake compared to hots or large boids, inexpensive and easily assembled with hand tools. Unfortunately there aren't many widespread enclosures that are commercially avaliable and ideally suited for chams though, so for people who aren't mechanically inclined there aren't many options.

jenn_jeffery
07-14-2004, 10:03 AM
Jenn we have the same last name, spelled the same too. I have never seen someone else spelled like mine. :)

I've seen a few others, but it's very rare! I actually married into it, so it took a bit for me to get used to spelling it 'differently'.

Nemesis
07-14-2004, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by SpiralTailRanch
Reptariums are actually all that I use. They do have their downsides, but they are very light weight and very easy to clean.
You can take apart the frame and wash it in the dishwasher, and wash the screep cover in the washing machine.

They are also inexpensive, compared to most screen cages. If you are strictly in it for the looks, the other screen cages are better, but as for price, weight, and cleaning, I think the reptariums are the best.

I do have one of the other screen cages, the one with the door on front and a bottom door, So I have experienced both types.

Good luck!

Do you use a feeder cup for your chams or do you let them free roam?

SpiralTailRanch
07-15-2004, 04:23 AM
Do you use a feeder cup for your chams or do you let them free roam?

It depends on what I am feeding.

I free roam all crickets. Silkworms and superworms I just put on various parts of the mesh screen, they seem to hold on just fine.

I will use a feeder cup for regular mealworms though. They are so small and they fall of the screen to easilly, so I'll lose track of them under the newspaper if they fall.