PDA

View Full Version : Crotalus cerastes...

GinoInDaBronx
07-18-2004, 07:21 PM
The other day, I caught a glimpse of Manny Rubio's book: 'Rattlesnake: Portrait of a Predator.' In it, there is a very interesting blurb about Crotalus cerastes. He says that the raised scales over the eyes (the 'horns,' if you will) are actually flexible. He says that they bend down, to protect the eyes, while te snake burrows. Is this true? Are the horns flexible? How about on Bitis?

snakegetters
07-18-2004, 07:44 PM
Bitis horns are very soft and flexible. So are the longer horns on the Cerastes genus. Crotalus cerastes horns are smaller and when you press down on them it tends to move the whole eye. They do wiggle a little when poked.

I don't advise doing the touch test at home however. LOL I've worked with anesthetized or otherwise immobilized specimens in the process of giving veterinary care, so I've had a safe opportunity to do a bit of poking.

Wilomn
07-18-2004, 08:47 PM
I've seen many in the wild, both out cruising and coiled up in the sand. I've also kept a few over the years and I have never seen the horns move at all. I've touched them and they do move the whole eye shield, not bend to cover the eye itself.