PDA

View Full Version : African Grey Fax machine

chas*e
07-18-2004, 09:32 PM
I just purchased an African Grey Timneh parrot. He is 2yrs old and for the first few days was non-talkative, until now. He /she must have been kept in a home office, I imagine, because it speaks no human language but, Boy OH Boy! does it ever chatter "OFFICE MACHINE"...lol....it comes out with, realistic, Fax Machine sounds, Telephone Rings, and Door bell...but NO LANGUAGE of any kind...If I didn't find it amusing I would be sad for the little thing...Does anyone else have a similar situation?..Since the bird is talkative already does this must reflect it's lack of stress? ...I keep it in the family room now(a busy one) so will he learn a lot of words from contact with us...yes/no..?....charlie

Karen Hulvey
07-21-2004, 11:06 PM
When I got my TAG, he had been kept alone in a small cage in a back room for years. He was around 5 y/o when I got him. I was told he could talk very well.

I had him for about a month before he uttered a single word. He said "Hello" in a woman's voice and it scared the bejesus out of me. I thought someone had entered the room it was so lifelike.

He learned "Good Morning" in 4 days. I would walk in and say it to him several times. On the 5th day I didn't say it and he said it. He has tons of words and phrases that just crack me up including:
"pauseNo , pause, No, pause, Don't Bite, pause, I said no."
That is also in a woman's voice. He started saying this after I'd had him for over a year. I NEVER said these words to him and I live alone so he didn't hear these words the whole time I've owned yet he still remembered them.

He also does tons and tons of sounds including an alarm, a squeaky door and a goose.

He was never tame for me and I can't handle him at all. Finally I bought a female and set them up to breed. The weirdest thing is that since I bought the female he doesn't talk. He only says the occasional "night, night birds" when I go to turn the lights out for the night. I do miss his talking but maybe he's learning to be a bird now. Who knows?

So don't give up on your bird. It will surprise you and I bet it will talk given time.

Karen

chas*e
07-22-2004, 09:25 AM
Well...I tell ya....This bird communicates now like crazy...all new words that we,my family, talks to him and that he just hears around the kitchen table. I have him hanging in the living room and he seems happy....He is still a bit of a screamer when you pick him up or open the cage but he still he doesn't bite justs threatens too....He has, unfortunately, started to pick up a partial cry of my Sun Conure, who screams like crazy(spoiled rotten)...I find this TAG a great bird, smart as a whip......The dogs and cats don't seem to think anything at all of him. The dogs do walk over and look up at the cage when the parrot hits a frequency that they are sensitive to..funny eh.......charlie