PDA

View Full Version : Suddenly agressive albino corn snake

SpiralTailRanch
08-02-2004, 06:24 PM
A woman just called my rescue to ask about her albino corn snake. She's had it since it was a baby (pencil size) and beleives it to be 5-6 years old now. She doesn't know the sex.

The snake is used in the classroom during the school year and handled by kids all the time. Their hands are always disinfected first. Recently the snake has become agressive and has bitten the woman three times now. She assures me that it was not a feeding mistake. The snake eats f/t mice in a different container than it's cage, isn't handled after, so on and so on.

I asked all the questions I knew to see it if was in any way something she did, but nothing is out of the ordinary. So, I've turned to you guys. What can this be causing sudden agression in such a calm and handlable snake? Can it be an underlying health problem? Please help!

Thank you all!

aviandoc
08-04-2004, 12:38 AM
I have a male 5 year old amelanistic, had been with my female snow for breeding and seemed fine. Became super aggressive about a month ago. I thought maybe over-responsive to females cycling, but he has been a breeder yearly for 3 years now same routine and location. Definately not a feeding response, and nothing had changed except my mouse source.

Did a fecal, had small strongyles. Dewormed him but before I did I placed him into another area much quieter than my other snake zone and he had already improved behavior-wise. Am hoping he will remain handleable, am not interested in keeping him if remains aggressive. Hoping it is the GI discomfort, etc...he is a nice snake.

Always run fecals and possible fecal cultures (especially if feces smells bad) when behavior changes abruptly, have had snakes and lizards freak out from what I thought was actually colic-like response. Some of us do better than others with gut pain I guess...

Hope this helps, and good luck to them!

Dr. Lynne

SpiralTailRanch
08-04-2004, 01:12 AM
Thank you very much for the info! She is bringing the snake by tommorow to see what I can do over a few weeks. I will go get a fecal exam done and make sure it is in a quiet area while it is here.

We will see what "comes out."