PDA

View Full Version : Need identification

Demosthenes
08-07-2004, 11:27 PM
I have caught this type of snake for years in SE New Mexico. I have decided to keep one and would appreciate all help in identifying him. It is male, I believe.

Demosthenes
08-07-2004, 11:31 PM
Here is a second photo.

whossnakes7
08-08-2004, 11:55 AM
have you cought any that have gray? If you have it may be a gray banded king snake.

Wilomn
08-08-2004, 01:05 PM
It's a long nose snake. I can't remember the scientific snake but any field guide for western reptiles will have it listed. Out of the wild they are sometimes hard to get on mice, they prefer lizards. They don't get to big and are almost always docile. I've had a few over the years and they make great pets.

Demosthenes
08-08-2004, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by wilomn
It's a long nose snake. I can't remember the scientific snake but any field guide for western reptiles will have it listed. Out of the wild they are sometimes hard to get on mice, they prefer lizards. They don't get to big and are almost always docile. I've had a few over the years and they make great pets.

Thank you. I did some checking and indeed you are correct. The only behavior I have never seen is the bleeding defense. This is a good thing. Heh! Thank you very much for your help!