PDA

View Full Version : Need some Help on what my boa does. WEIRD!

SerpentMan
08-08-2004, 08:41 PM
I just purchased a 2 years old BCI and noticed on occasion that she opens her mouth like she is trying to rid something in there. The only thing is there is nothing.
She has no mucus or breathing problems, flicks tongue fine, and has a great appetite. She is strong and seems fine. BUT, it is just wierd! I am wondering if anyone has seen this sort of thing?
She also has a knot at very end of tail. Sould I worry?
Any help would be great!
I have looked at every book and cannot find anything.
There are also NO VETS up here which suck. Thanks for any help!

robin d.
08-08-2004, 09:40 PM
what are the tempatures in the enclosure... both ends?

SerpentMan
08-08-2004, 09:46 PM
I just went and checked with the temp gun.
84 cool side and 94 warm .
I turned the heat down alittle.
Maybe that could be it.
I am scared of IBD though.
Thanks for replying.

THE GOOD GUY
08-08-2004, 10:24 PM
FROM WHAT YOU DISCRIBED IT SOUNDS LIKE THE SNAKE HAS A PARISITE. AS FAR AS THE KNOT IS IT BEFORE OR AFTER THE VENT AND IS SHE EATING.IF THE ABCESS IS BEFORE THE VENT THE PARISITES POKE HOLES IN THE INTESTINES ALLOWING BACTERIA TO GET INTO THE BLOOD STEAM CAUSEING MANY PROBLEMS.

SerpentMan
08-08-2004, 10:39 PM
As in my original post she has a great appetite.

The knot which is hard as a bone is pea sized or alittle smaller and after vent. 1/2 inch from end.
As for parasites poken holes ex.
I never heard or read ecto-parasites doing that.
As far as endo-parasites them either. I have a degree in parasitlogy and have been studing parasites for 7 years now.
I will do acouple stool test cause you always learn something everyday. It does not sound like a bacteria infection either because it was a weird movement. No mucus ex. I am still at ahh?? I thank you for your reply.
I think the knot happened at birth only x-ray could tell for that I guess.

THE GOOD GUY
08-08-2004, 11:50 PM
I WILL T FIND THE PAPER WORK FROM MY VET.ON WHAT PARISITE IT WAS. I HAD SIMILER PROBLEM .WALKED IN ROOM AND SAW SNAKE GAGING BUT NOTING COMING UP HE HAD KNOW EXTRA MUCAS AND APPEARED TO BE FINE AND ACTIVE.TOOK HIM TO THE VET ANYWAY. DID BLOOD AND STOOL SAMPLE THAT IS WHEN HE FOUND THE PARSITE AND BACTERA. WHEN THE VET DID HIS EXAM HE SAID THE ONLY THING THAT LOOKED A LITTLE ODD WAS THE MOUTH WAS NOT AS BRITE WHITE AS IT SHOULD BE.

SerpentMan
08-09-2004, 12:19 AM
I never thought of a blood test for parasites, I know they live in muscle tissue sometimes which takes a byopsy to see.
PLEASE let me know. I have access to all medications that rid parasites from a snake.
Again thanks!!

THE GOOD GUY
08-09-2004, 12:20 AM
HERES THE NAME AND SOME INFO Amebiasis: Amebiasis is one of the most significant parasite problems of captive snakes. This highly contagious disease is caused by a microscopic, one-celled organism (protozoan) called and ameba. Eating contaminated food and water containing the infective stage of this parasite easily infects snakes. The organisms cause extensive damage to the intestinal lining and liver.

SerpentMan
08-09-2004, 12:22 AM
Thank you!
I will check for that and even shot gun if I must.
Most meds that treat this one cell parasite are real safe.
Thanks for your help!

robin d.
08-09-2004, 02:53 AM
i would check temps first she may be hot.... second how long have you had the animal? if it amebiasis they will regurge.. get a bloated lowed third.... the amebias are passed through food water feces.. hand conact ect.it is VERY contagious. and it causes a bacterial infection in the intestions which eventually kills the animal. the tratment for amebiasis, is flagyl and gentamiacin.
however i do not think this is what you are dealing with. as far as i know amebiasis can be caught in a fecal test, if you know what to look for, however you need to find some kind of vet even if it is an exotic or avian vet.... the lump in the tail i suspect is either something from bith or an old wound.