PDA

View Full Version : Tree frogs

djmidkiff
08-16-2004, 05:33 AM
I currently have 2 Asian Gliding Tree Frogs, and I am wondering if anyone knows about Red Eyed Tree Frogs. I know my frogs can be housed with White's, but what about Red Eyed's? Thanks!

Jeankugatt
11-23-2004, 02:57 PM
i bought some red eyes at the atlanta exotic animal show. They are about 1.5 to 2 inches so i think they may grow a lil more. I have 3 of them and i set them up in a 30 gallon hexagonal aquarium with cork bark on the background, with a few bromeliads and a pothos pant and a lil statue at the base. So i think the set up is ok, All the frogs seem pretty healthy but they go fairly dark sometimes. Does this mean anything. I know with chameleons it can mean stress, does that mean that my red eyes are stressed. I keep the humidity at about 80 to 90%, and the temperature is about 75 degrees with a light on during the day for the plant. If anyone knows why these frogs are turning dark please let me know.

thanks

raj joshi

djmidkiff
11-23-2004, 10:33 PM
Try raising your temp to about 80*... 75* seems a little too cool. Mine weren't even as tropical as yours and I still kept them at 80* per the pet store's instructions.

kaos02
01-09-2005, 09:26 PM
Dj, it is highly recommended that the red eyes are housed seperate from other species.They are very sensitive to stress and some frogs do at times become canaballistic.

As far as the color variations, the red eyes are usually in full color only when sleeping, when they awaken they then begin to turn a brownish red and will stay this way through the night.Please avoid the urge to handle and wake them as this can severely stress them out.If you want to admire the true beauty of these frogs please do it from a distance.

As far as care and housing:

They do well with average daytime temperatures of about 75°- 80° F (24° - 27° C) and nighttime temperatures of 70°- 75° F (21° - 24° C).I run an 18 inch 15 watt 5.0 fluorescent for plants and to complete the day cycle I run a 25 watt neodymium sun glo for day cycle and temp control.For temp control and night viewing i run a 15 watt night glo moonlight.This setup provides a full day and night cycle and the night glo will allow you to view the red eyes while undisturbed.

Because red eye tree frogs come from a tropical rain forest, a higher humidity level of 60% to 70% is a must. Higher humidity levels can be maintained by regular mistings, appropriate substrate, and partially covering the cage top. If water droplets begin to form on the glass, the humidity is probably too high. Red eye tree frogs also love to climb on broad-leaf plants such as Philodendron, Anthurium, and Mongtera species.

Fresh water should be provided in a dish for the frogs because they will rehydrate themselves by soaking in the disk. They will often drink from the water accumulated on the plants from misting as well.

It is important to mist red eye tree frogs on a regular basis. Depending on your local environment, cage setup, and substrate you may have to mist as often as daily to only two to tree times a week. Owners should also be wary of unfiltered tap water as it may contain substances harmful to your frogs, It is best to use filtered and dechlorinated water for misting and drinking, I use bottled spring water or water treated by reverse osmosis (DO NOT USE DISTILLED WATER FOR SOAKING OR MISTING) this can cause a severe mineral imbalance that can lead to death,not always but does happen.

Sorry if it is too long, but there are many factors in keeping red eyes.

Enjoy, and i f you have any questions feel free to e-mail and ask.
Rob
rcbrinson@mchsi.com