PDA

View Full Version : Info on Johnstons?

Nemesis
08-27-2004, 02:39 PM
Does anyone have any information or links on Johnstons chameleons?
Info seems very limited.

Thanks!

JasonDescamps
08-27-2004, 08:42 PM
www.adcham.com is probably about the best you are going to see right now. The CCIC has some great info but it is down right now for updates.

johnstons aren't all that difficult to keep if you can get them to acclimate. Most that you see for sale are imports and don't adapt well to captivity. Heavy parasite loads and high water requirements make for a bad combination. Overall they are similar to jacksonii. Feel free to ask specific questions if you have them.

Nemesis
08-27-2004, 08:45 PM
Thank you!

I keep hearing that CB is not common, There is a dealer here that is selling a proven pair. He told me they wer NOT wild caught. He said they had already had one clutch for him. Do you think it is unlikely they are CB?

JasonDescamps
08-28-2004, 12:03 AM
That is hard to say without knowing who the dealer is. It is possible that they are CB as there have been a few people who have had some success with them.

Just Bugs
10-01-2004, 09:58 PM
Hello,

If you still need info, don't hesitate to ask me! I've successfully bred and hatched many clutches.... Never reached F2 but I think I could have had I not sold them all off before I went to East Africa. Jason, I would say them are more like deremesis versus jacksonii although they can and like it brisk cold, they would bask here when temps were in the mid to high 90's! Keep in mind, our overall humidity was near or at 100% too and showers were frequent! I was able to keep mine, breeders, neonates, juvies etc) outside from early/mid spring to mid/late fall with 10 months outdoors being the norm for where we are in North Alabama. I mean that they are more like deremensis in climatic preference, they are definitely not sedintary like the deremensis are! Those have the be the laziest of all chameleons; parson's included!!! :D

Incubation is tough, you almost need a wine cellar or basement to do it right if you do not have some type of cooling device prebuilt and tested because I would let my eggs drop from mid to low 50's during some nights and found this to be the best obviously due to the fact that at these temps produced the only neonates that weren't carrying a yolk sac. When they were still carrying one, they were weak from the get go and were a struggle to keep alive while some still eventually died...

If you have any specific questions, don't hesitate to email me!

Regards,

Josh Mease
MBT - CRG Chameleon Farms
www.chamresearch.com