PDA

View Full Version : Reptisafe ?

USAGECKOS
09-09-2004, 11:10 AM
I just received an order from Big Apple Herp, along with my order they gave me 2 samples of "Reptisafe" Instant Terrarium Water Conditioner. It says that it is for retiles water, it says it removes chloramines and chlorine, detoxifies Nitrites, and removes toxic Ammonia.

Has anyone used this before? Is it really safe for reptiles?

Thansk in advance!

progeckos
09-09-2004, 07:43 PM
I’ve never used it before so I don’t know how well it works. Being that’s it’s manufactured by Zoo Med I don’t see why it would be harmful. I actually thought Reptisafe was more for aquatic turtle tanks and terrariums but I guess it also works in drip systems and water bowls. Personally I think it would be more of pain than worth while. I just use regular tap water………..

MGReptiles
09-10-2004, 12:35 AM
I received some samples form them as well and used it in the water bowls. I didnt notice any ill effects. But then again the snakes dont really takl to me that much....Id say it is indeed aimed for forgs and such...
-Matt

USAGECKOS
09-10-2004, 07:30 AM
Thanks for the responses guys. I think I will keep my money and keep on using just plain tap water.
:spinny:

Seamus Haley
09-10-2004, 07:52 AM
It's perfectly safe to use and some product that has similar functions is needed for species which are a little more chamically sensitive... but it's also got low concentrations of everything worthwhile and the blue food coloring costs extra... there are literally dozens of products sold for use in aquariums which do all the same things (and more) and most of which require only a drop or two of the product per gallon of water (and with a cost per volume that's much lower as well).

So, like many other products which have had a herp stuck on the label you pay more for less. The product does everything it should and, as I said, for some species the end results generated need to be obtained somehow... but the Reptisafe is an insane waste of money.

MGReptiles
09-10-2004, 12:45 PM
When ya buy a Zoo Med product you pay a couple bucks for the name anyways.. I just leave my water in gallon jugs for a day or so. By that time all the chlorine has escaped...
-Matt

Seamus Haley
09-10-2004, 06:26 PM
I just leave my water in gallon jugs for a day or so. By that time all the chlorine has escaped...

Chloramine won't evaporate though...

For most species, it doesn't matter much. Floride and chloramine and heavy metals won't do much to the majority of reptiles... Amphibians should be treated like fish and have the nastier things removed, some reptiles fall into this category as well but they're a minority... chams and the like.

I was actually looking at some of what I use for the hellbenders... I paid $1.99 for a two ounce bottle of Mardel Lab's dechlorinator (also detoxifies heavy metals and breaks the ammonia bond in chloramine). It's used in a concentration of one drop per gallon of water, the bottle I have should treat something like 12,000 gallons (estimate of course). The standard reptisafe small bottle is 2.25 ounces and is about three dollars... it's two drops per ounce of water or about three teaspoons per gallon. A quick google search indicated that (varying slightly with liquid density of course) a teaspoon is somewhere between 60 and 100 drops. So call it about 240 drops per gallon of water which needs to be treated, using an average of the drops per teaspoon measurements that I got.

So one third more expensive (volume) and 1/240th as effective, making it well over three HUNDRED fifty times as expensive to actually use for animals. Ouch.

Bringerofdoom
10-16-2004, 02:31 AM
i've used reptisafe for months now, i never had no problems with it. tho i do agree with another post that aquarium de-clor products are alot better, cheaper and last alot more.