PDA

View Full Version : Help the dumb turtle dork

zebeck
09-13-2004, 09:49 PM
ID a snake, please.

Somebody thinks this is a corn snake and I figure nobody is the world is better qualified to make that call than some of the people here at Fauna.

So if you can help me it'd be great:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v107/zebeck/100_0136.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v107/zebeck/th100_0135.jpg

Wilomn
09-13-2004, 11:20 PM
It's a corn alright. In fact, you don't get much cornier than that. What's the story behind it? Did someone find it or what?

It'll be a good pet if you're thinking of keeping it.

zebeck
09-13-2004, 11:50 PM
Thanks wes.

No not mine.
Somebody found it and i relaized I have seen so few that looked like that "normal" phase I wondered if I was crazy.

I also recall having seen what was later determined to be an eastern milk snake from the middle part of the country that many people thought might have been a corn from the blurry pictures.

Is it the head pattern that gives it away?

CAV
09-14-2004, 12:48 AM
Head patterns are unique and individual. It is definitely a normal colored corn. On a different note, if it was found in Arizona then it is an escaped pet. The far western boundry on corns is Louisiana.

Wilomn
09-14-2004, 12:50 AM
I suppose there is a remote possibility that it's a fox snake, I haven't seen too many of them. But it sure looks like a corn from the pattern on the body. Head patterns vary a lot on corns. You could always do a scale count on the head and lips and compare the totals to corns and fox snakes to make sure it's a corn. I think they are listed in the Easter Field Guide to Reptiles and Amphibians. If not someone else will no doubt know for sure and let us both know.

I still vote for corn though.

Alias47
09-17-2004, 01:55 PM
I can't see the pictures for some reason...but I have seen Fox Snakes in the wild multiple times and they can look quite a bit like a corn snake.

I would go with the scale counts if you must have positive ID

Safari'sCharmer
09-23-2004, 11:34 PM
From my past experience with wild snakes I would say it is a cornsnake...