PDA

View Full Version : Durango Mountain King Snake

nydrgnldy
09-18-2004, 03:11 PM
This guy was a "gift" you could say.I haven't had him long and don't know much about them really.I have him in a 20 long right now as he is just a baby.He is about 14 inches in length.Very sweet snake almost asks to be held.Beautiful coloring.I have his temps around 82 is that high enough.He eats great.He has a hide and water always available.I would like to know if there is anything else I need to know.He eats frozen pinkies which he does well with.He is eating 2 once a week.I want to do everything right for him/her.I think its a female but not 100% sure on that just yet.That going by tail length.He has shed and very quickly and easily.Please let me know if there is anything else I should be doing for him.
Thanks
Robin

I had him/her in the trades section but I have decided to keep him.

nydrgnldy
09-18-2004, 03:18 PM
http://www.ofoto.com/PhotoView.jsp?&collid=51676722905&photoid=621935656105

I am trying to post a picture of him/her but so far no luck anyone have any idea what I am doing wrong?

Sand&SunReptile
09-18-2004, 08:47 PM
Sounds like a beautiful little snake. I got my eye on a mountain kingsnake at my workplace. 140 so it's out of my price range for the time being. I need cages and an incubator. Plus a crap load of feeders.
Anyhow, everything sounds about right. Maybe give him a basking spot a bit higher. Other than that, he sounds like he will have a happy and long life!
Good luck!
Great to see someone taking an active interest in making sure they are caring for their animals right.

nydrgnldy
09-18-2004, 10:59 PM
I can't help it I am just nuts with my animals.They have to be cared for right.Its what I do.Its how I have always been.Yes I have done the impulse buy from time to time but only with animals I at least know somthing about...like how big they will get...I think you need to know at least that before even considering an animal.Lets face it thats why there are so many snakes and other reptiles in shelters and the like...Their owner never realized or thought to look into how big they were going to get.I think all animals deserve at least that much respect.Don't buy cause its cute now...look at what it will look like and how big it will be than think ....will it be so cute then if the answer is yes great!!! do some more research what does it eat how often what kind of enclosure...I knew the basics with this Girl I am finding it very hard to find any in depth info on her though.I found 1 place and only one place...Applegate reptiles.So I emailed him.
Robin

Sand&SunReptile
09-19-2004, 12:34 AM
Exellent way to go. He knows his kings.
Anyhow, good lookin out, and take care of her, she is a little ripper. Will make an awesome adult.

morgan s
11-28-2005, 01:59 AM
whoa... Please do some reading on Durangos. they prefer it much cooler . dont add heat. They prefer it cooler being naturally found over 7000 feet elevation. they also love rocks to hide in.
Try breaking up some large pieces of slate into 6 inch pieces. then stack them giving him numerous places to hide.
Also...you can have a hot spot of around 82, but most of the cage should be kept cooler.
Here's some links for you to check out. the first being a link to the best book on mountain kings ever made.

mountain king book (http://www.fieldherpforum.com/Bookstore/MountainKings.htm)

Captive breeding/husbandry of Durango Mt. (http://www.applegatereptiles.com/articles/breedgreeripyro.htm)