PDA

View Full Version : Camera recommendation?

Celtic Constrictors
12-14-2014, 10:44 PM
I am a compete camera novice. My iPhone just won't cut it anymore. Can anyone suggest a good camera for photos of my critters? I purchased a light tent and all that jazz. I just need a more professional look to assist with sales.

Any input is appreciated.

eminart
12-15-2014, 10:55 AM
Lenses are more important than camera bodies. Any modern DSLR camera will make great photos, if you use it correctly. Obviously some are better than others, but unless you're a professional and opting for a $1500+ full frame camera, you won't be able to tell the difference. The best advice I have is to stick to either canon or nikon, not because they're any better than some of the others, but because there are more second party lenses available for them. Pick out a camera body, then get a good prime lens - something like a 50mm.

eminart
12-15-2014, 10:59 AM
On lenses, another good option, although more expensive, is to go with a "macro" lens like the Tamron 90mm or Tokina 100mm.

Celtic Constrictors
12-15-2014, 11:35 AM
That's a phenomenal help. I didn't even know where to start. So I think I can buy the kit at Sam's club with the Nikon camera and I'll find a quality lens.

Much obliged, Scott!

AbsoluteApril
12-15-2014, 03:49 PM
Great advice above. As a newbie to DSLR, I've been quite happy with my Pentax and that's without getting any fancy lenses yet besides what it came with. I went with that brand over a Canon or Nikon as it seemed comparable from the forums I read and pricing was a tad easier on the wallet.

I found this site to be of great help when I was shopping:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

good luck!

Celtic Constrictors
12-15-2014, 04:04 PM
Thanks April. That's the site I was looking at. I found that link on a previous similar thread from a year or more ago. Wasn't sure if the camera technology was any different from waaaaayyyy back in 2013. ;)

NocturnalNature
12-15-2014, 09:39 PM
As already mentioned, most DSLR bodies on the market will outperform all the needs an amateur photographer might have. A very good way to get a great deal on a used camera is to visit one of the reputable Canon/Nikon forums and search the classifieds. Many photographers will upgrade each time a newer model comes out which means there are typically a large number of lightly used, great condition, bodies available.
To reiterate what another poster said, spend your money on quality lenses if you want to truly take your photography to the next level. If your finances allow, try to stick with prime lenses instead of zoom lenses since they usually offer better image quality. My main lens is a 100mm Macro which allows for a very wide range of use. It cover 95% of my needs in regards to field herping, photos for ads, and general portraits.
Myself, I like the layout and operations of the Canon D series. Great track record, readily available in the used market, wide range of lenses for every budget, and a huge aftermarket for accessories.
If you find yourself perusing the classifieds, keep an eye out for the 40D or 50D. Both great units that can usually be had for a very fair price.
Good luck and enjoy the journey!

Celtic Constrictors
12-15-2014, 09:47 PM
I will definitely take heed of your advice about the used cameras Jackie.

You guys are all so helpful.

eminart
12-16-2014, 07:12 AM
B&H also has a large used and refurbished section. There's a link to the used dept. on their front page.

anolelover
12-17-2014, 09:54 AM
I have an amazing camera, kinda expensive, but it's a Pentax K-50.

barid
12-19-2014, 10:22 AM
Are there particular brands or models you already have in mind?

barid
12-19-2014, 10:24 AM
Do you think of something like these http://thedigitalcamera.net/nikon-d750-vs-d810-vs-d610-vs-d4s-vs-df/

Celtic Constrictors
12-19-2014, 01:31 PM
Well I was looking at the Nikon D series based on previous recommendations. I'm wanting to spend as little money as possible (since I'm not really into taking pictures for recreation) but I want enough quality and clarity to appear professional as possible from a business stand point.

What would you recommend?

eminart
12-19-2014, 04:45 PM
Do you think of something like these http://thedigitalcamera.net/nikon-d750-vs-d810-vs-d610-vs-d4s-vs-df/

Those are all full frame cameras, which, in my opinion, are complete overkill for what he's wanting. No need to spend 2-5 times the price for features he won't use.

The photos in the link below were all shot with a Nikon D40, which was their bottom of the line DSLR SEVERAL years ago. Anything you buy now, will be at the very least, equal to this camera, and almost definitely superior.

That said, good photos are about knowing HOW to capture them, and LENSES.

https://pixelpeeper.com/cameras/?camera=403

eminart
12-19-2014, 04:47 PM
I should add that for truly professional-looking photos, you'd need to get some editing software for touchups and adjustments.

bory
05-22-2015, 03:34 AM
I'm using a nikon d810, great with it