PDA

View Full Version : Shipping Mistakes

APotts60
09-25-2004, 12:59 PM
Hello Everyone,

I was at Tarheel Reptiles web site and i noticed on his policies page that he holds the buyer responsible for shipping errors. I'm bringing this up because i think there might be a correlation between those who hold buyers responsible for shipping errors and what kind of business ethos they have. I have always felt that the seller is 100% responsible till the buyer says thank you for a job well done. Is there anyone who holds buyers responsible for shipping errors that doesnt consider themselves to be rip offs? If so i would like to hear how you came to your decision. Well thanks for your time and i hope this isnt considerd to be a bad thread. Well take and be safe. Ciao.
Andrew Potts.......aka Drewmanski Polanskiskiski.

dwedeking
09-25-2004, 01:11 PM
I probably wouldn't buy from someone with this as a policy on animal shipments.

But I don't think that makes them a bad person. Selling (and buying) online is a risky venture. Terms and policies are put into place to establish the level of risk a seller is willing to assume in a transaction. I know a couple of breeders that have the same policy and are considered great breeders. So while I feel it would inhibit many sales I don't think the policy by itself makes the person out to a be a bad guy. It's your job as the consumer to decide if a seller's policy's are right for you (everyone has their own standards) before you purchase.

APotts60
09-25-2004, 01:31 PM
Hey Dan,

Thanks for the reply. I can tell you got some serious grey matter between your ears. I agree 100% that a person isnt bad just because they have that policy in effect. Plus the way you phrased it what else could i say. So let me ask ya this. Why would anyone have that policy. Im serious i cant think for the world how anyone could hold the buyer of an animal they never even saw or touched responsible. Well again thanks Dan for given me something to ponder. Take care and stay safe. Ciao.
Andrew Potts....aka...Drewmanski Polanskiskiski.

nicolai
09-25-2004, 02:39 PM
I Have purchased a lot of reptiles on line and at shows and stores and in my opinion it is the sellers responsibilty to deliver a healthy animal to the buyer not for the seller to say "hey, I have a reptile for sale but its your responsibility to get it from me to you at your risk so I can profit off of a sale to you". I dont know many people that would buy reptiles online if that were the case.
If the seller packs the animals well and uses a shipper with a good reputation then the seller should have no need for that kind of "clause" in thier business policies.
I think that kind of thing is reserved for people that throw a animal into a box, tape it up, set it outside for the delivery man to pick it up and move on to the next sucker.

This is my opinion on this subject.
Nick Bonn

dwedeking
09-25-2004, 02:48 PM
I've had animals stolen out of boxes with one major carrier (we replaced the animal at no charge to the customer, and luckily got reimbursed from the carrier) and had a Fedex Priority Overnight shipment take 4 days to arrive (the animals were fine). So there are instances when things can be out of the control of the seller and still go bad.

I've also had a customer tell me he never received a dragon (he said he never got the box) even though I had his signature from the carrier saying he did.

While these instances are few and far between there is a risk to the seller once a box leaves his facility. A policy not covering these instances would highly limit online sales (IMHO) and is a risk we accept to do business. So while I don't agree with not-covering carrier issues when shipping live animals, I do understand a vendor's unwillingness to accept that risk (even though it will limit his sales volumes).

APotts60
09-25-2004, 04:51 PM
Hey Dan,

Maybe i should be more specific. I'm not talking about a customer trying to commit fraud or pulling a fast one. Im refering to any situation other than that. Such as dead,injured or missing animals with no outward damage or tampering to shipping container, dead,injured or missing animals with shipping container damage or tampering and lost parcel. Lets say you send out an animal to someone who gets the shipment(signed for by them) on time and in moderate weather. They call you and say the box is empty. The way i see it only 2 things could have happend(assuming the shipment was packed and secured properly), either it was removed from the shiping container in transit or the customer is being untruthful. Now of course im taking into consideration that you have had some interaction with the customer so you have some kind of read on the person. So im not talking about someone you think is already to slick for thier own good. Im talking about someone you had good vibes about and had a really good comfort level with. And for the sake of argument they be a first time buyer. What do you do?????? For me its easy........replace the animal and even pay for shipping replacement animal. I know i sound kooky but i swear thats how I'd do it. But thats me.........i love people and think the vast vast majority of people are descent. Well thanks again guys for your responses. Take care and be safe.
Ciao. Andrew Potts......aka......Drewmanski Polanskiskiski.

dwedeking
09-25-2004, 06:02 PM
Maybe i should be more specific. I'm not talking about a customer trying to commit fraud or pulling a fast one. Im refering to any situation other than that.

A box leaves via the back door of our facility. Once it leaves my hands there is risk involved. Negiligence by the carrier or the customer or just plain bad luck can all happpen. Terms of service tell you (the customer) what limit I am placing on the risk I am willing to accept (meaning if anything other than bad shipping practices on my end).

I agree with you that to do a successful business online with selling reptiles a company needs to take that risk and guarantee delivery. I don't think it's an issue of ethics though or that your a bad guy if you place a limit.

Khaman
09-26-2004, 09:05 AM
If you have been certified by Fed Ex to ship reptiles how can you guarantee anything? Fed Ex will ship it for you but you give up your right to any refund if it is lost, stolen, destroyed or even late. You can pay for an 8:30 am delivery and if they get it there by twelve the next day you are SOL because you have signed away your right to any claims just so you can ship legally. Legally meaning having marked your package in accordance with the Lacy Act. I have since started refusing to accept responsibility for shipping companies because we have all heard how our packages are treated in transit. I admit if the animal is in good health and is package properly 99.9% of the time it will arrive in excellent condition but if it gets routed to Canada instead of Texas it is out of my hands. I sell most of my animals locally at shows but I do advertise online but I let the buyer know my TOS before I ship and let them decide

APotts60
09-26-2004, 12:09 PM
Hey Scott,

I hear what your saying, but would it be wise to let that 1% suffer even though its not your fault but the shipping companies. I mean come on that means out of every one hundred shipments you have one problem. One problem. Seems to me thats a great success and shouldnt be a problem to take care of that one problem. Oh hell maybe 2 problems. You see what im saying. I just dont see the logic of not doing whatever it takes for those oh so few problems you might have. Look at it this way. When a situation like that happens, whatever the cost is to fix, just write it off as advertising. Because rest assured that customer is going to be telling everyone hes knows what you did. CHA CHANG. CHA CHANG. CHA CHING. The sound of oodles and oodles of cash flowing into your pocket. Yea man the only difference between a good business person and a bad business person is how they handle themselves when the shat hits the fan. You see im all about making people happy. I MEAN THINK ABOUT WHAT AN HONOR IT IS TO HAVE SOMEONE GIVE YOU THEIR VERY, VERY HARD EARNED MONEY. To me its like i have an obligation to make them happy regardless of what it takes.. Now i say that with the hopes that it will be applied with common sense. But in closing, if ya have a problem every now and then, do the right thing. Anyhow Scott I'm sure youve never not done the right thing when it came to one of your customers. Take care and be safe. Ciao. Andrew Potts......aka......Drewmanski Polanskiskiski.

Khaman
09-26-2004, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by APotts60
[BAnyhow Scott I'm sure youve never not done the right thing when it came to one of your customers.[/B]

I have always done right by my customers. If I made a sexing mistake I have bent over backwards at my expense to correct it. As well as having a yearling decide it did not want to eat F/T once it arrived I paid for return shipping and refunded her money. I refuse to take responsibility for a shipping company that could care one way or another as long as they get their money. If someone does not like my TOS then it is their choice not to buy what I am selling.