PDA

View Full Version : Methods of catching wild lizards

bullcowman
10-26-2004, 01:01 AM
I've had limited success with long sticks with a noose at the end(dog catcher snare?) to catch them. Unfortunately there aren't many lizards species in my area(5-lined skinks,6-lined race runners,glass lizards- and I have to travel at least 45min.), so I don't have much experience catching them.

Does anyone have any methods, or tricks to catch or make catching easier, especially for aboreal lizards???

For terrestrial species, I've heard of people using long nets as a fence to coral fast running species into a area or pitfall trap. Don't know if that works good or not.

reptilebreeder
10-26-2004, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by bullcowman
I've had limited success with long sticks with a noose at the end(dog catcher snare?) to catch them.

For terrestrial species, I've heard of people using long nets as a fence to coral fast running species into a area or pitfall trap. Don't know if that works good or not.

I use what you call the dog catcher snare. What problems are you having with that method? I've made them out of old car radio antennas, perfect length and they telescope for easy carrying. I've also gone to an office supply place an bought one of those telescoping pointers and modified the end to carry the noose. We use copper wire for the "noose" (that real thin wire that's wrapped around electrical coils). It is better than string or other things, because you can bend the noose open. String and such aways closes up or gets twisted, or the wind blows it so you can't get it around the lizard. I don't use it on heavy stuff like Chuckwallas, but I've had great success with this method for just about everything else. Whiptails, Leopard Lizards, side-bloched, young Desert Iguanas. etc.
The other methods you mention (fence, pitfalls) may work, but they are often illegal.

John

bullcowman
10-26-2004, 04:12 AM
The other methods you mention (fence, pitfalls) may work, but they are often illegal.

Thanks for the heads up, I didn't know that.

Well what I meant was, I haven't had a lot of practice, only went out twice this summer with the snare, just a stick with 50lb fishingline and a eyehook. And most of the lizards where on rock face so I couldn't get behind them easily(or at all). So I scared most of them away(into cracks). I caught a couple skinks and 1 race runner( i released them all- I think skinks are ugly snakes withlegs).

If someone knows how to get lizards out of crevices short of flushing out with water or something like that let me know.

The Idea of a telescoping snare is gold. I plan on getting a importers lisence and catching some giant anoles in Mexico sometime soon, so that would be real handy.

When I squirell hunt the buggers will go to the opposite side of the tree so you can't see them. So I stay in shooting position while my friend walks around to the other side, making noise. I wonder How i could apply that to catching lizards with a snare.

I understand the basic technique, I'm just looking for ways to be more succesful. (esp. with aboreals). Does going out at night work good for iguanid lizards? I know it works for ampibians and geckos.

Here's a newb story:
Well the day after I caught the race runner mentioned above, me and my friend where looking for a new fishing spot along the WI river. Well no luck just catfish, so we drove back towards home. We see this HUGE (by WI standards) snake crossing the road, Well I just had to stop. I ran out and got between the snake and the woods. It just stared at me. The snake was aprox 3,3/4 feet long, just beautiful. I tried to guess what it was. thought it was a colubrid, gopher or fox snake. Well after about 20sec of staring at me, it made a dash towards the woods, I ran after it. Right before it got there I Grabbed its tail, but saw it swing around to strike, I'm glad i wussed out and let go. As soon as I let go, It came around and stood up, and started rattling his little tail. I was like holy crap. I got a massive shot of adrenaline. I then tried to use a stick to catch him, but I didn't want to hurt him so I gave up almost imiediatly(he was getting away too). He went in the woods about 10 feet and stopped and looking at me, not rattling or anything. Well I watched him stare at me for 5 minutes then I left.
I didn't realise he was a rattler until I grabbed him, mostly because he was young and didn't have the wide pit viper head, and he only had a little button for a rattle.

This really changed how I view poisonous snakes, Even though I was in its way, He didn't even rattle or try to look mean untill i grabbedhim. He seemed almost intelligent when I watched him watch me. Now I tell other people that they don't have to be afraid of them( just respectful) unless they step on or otherwise harass them.
Btw, he was a Timber Rattler

turtleman85
10-26-2004, 09:28 PM
holy crap!! I bet you were ready to :bolt01:

bullcowman
10-26-2004, 10:49 PM
After he struck and I heard that rattle I got a little shaky. I imagine my face turned a ghostly pale white after that too.

turtleman85
10-26-2004, 11:02 PM
If that had happened to me, I would have been out of there and down the road in a matter of 2 seconds! lol.