PDA

View Full Version : one eye burm

rag54
11-03-2004, 09:18 PM
i recently bought a baby burm and it only has one eye the other one was never there it was a birth defect so i got a het for granate for 50 bucks from the pet store cuz it was half price it has no trouble eating or anyhting but if i mate it eventually is there a good chance they wont have an eye or what?? plus im trying to think of a good name for him a one eyes snake has to have a kilelr name

Karen Hulvey
11-03-2004, 09:35 PM
I believe the answer to your question is YES. Some of the babies most likely will be born with only one eye.

Here's my reasoning:
I have a friend who has albino burmese pythons. They have both eyes. He doesn't know if there were any one eyed siblings to his two snakes.

The female is about 14' with a normal pattern.
Male is about 8' and is a green albino.

She laid 60 eggs. All hatched. 6 hatchlings were missing one eye.

So I would think that your one eyed snake would have a greater chance of passing on the one eye trait than two normal-appearing snakes.

I could be wrong, but I'm sure someone will correct me.

Karen

Mark and Aimee
11-03-2004, 10:03 PM
I could be wrong, but I'm sure someone will correct me.

Well, it's really hard to say for sure if it is a genetic defect, or a one-time freak thing. So... All the assumptions and guesses in the world won't do a whole lot of good.

rag54
11-04-2004, 07:10 AM
so if they have one eye does that make the value go down drasticly or what?? i hope none of the babys are missing an eye

anyone got a cool name for a one eyed snake yet?

Rakshasanyc
11-10-2004, 11:33 AM
I'd be VERY leery of breeding ANY Burmese Python. Right now the market is flooded with low-priced Burms. You may not be able to get rid of all of your babies... and what do you plan to do with i.e. 20 or 30 baby Burms that are going to be big Burms in short order.

Even if you do find homes for all your hatchlings, I would question whether everybody who is buying a Burm is ready for a snake that is going to grow to 15+ feet long and eat several rabbits a month. Burms are so cheap that they've become "disposable pets" -- people buy them and then get rid of them once they get too large. I'd rather not bring a snake into the world unless I had some idea that it was going to receive good treatment.

TooManyBurmese
11-10-2004, 02:16 PM
I completely agree with the above post. Although granites are considered more "high end" their prices have been cut in half over the past year or so... and for the most part a "het" burm is no more than a regular one with a silly price tag

I have a one eyed burm pictured on my site, although his eye was lost due to an accident. His name is Pirate :)