PDA

View Full Version : Beginner's kingsnake

romad119
11-06-2004, 05:59 PM
Does anyone have any opinions on the best beginner's kingsnake? This would be my first snake other than those I caught as a kid (N. water, black racer, brown, garter).

I have a 50g breeder tank opening up and I'm pretty sure this is good enough size for any type of King? Also, can I feed it CB snakes like grass snakes, etc. on occasion without any bad side effects?

KingGemini
11-07-2004, 01:19 PM
Hey man, i have a FL. Kingsnake and she's a great kingsnake, i havent heard many complaints of FL kingsnakes. If you wanna anything about them i/m me on aim, g3mnii

gila7150
11-07-2004, 09:09 PM
FL Kings are great starter kings. Another king to consider would me a Mexican black king or a california king. Eastern kings are awesome too but they grow pretty big. They all have a pretty similar disposition so it kind of depends on what look you prefer.

gila7150
11-07-2004, 09:14 PM
By the way, any kingsnake will eat wild caught snakes if you offer them but it's not the greatest idea. You're risking introducing parasites or disease to your snake. A kingsnake will thrive on a diet of frozen/thawed mice or rats. If you are going to feed snakes to your king freeze them for a week or two first. This will atleast kill some of the parasite load. Good luck.

KingGemini
11-08-2004, 02:05 AM
wouldnt they be all stiff and dead lol