PDA

View Full Version : Looking For a Large, Inexpensive Parrot

Viper22
11-17-2004, 05:03 PM
Greetings, I am searching for a medium to large parrot species (amazon, african grey, cockatoo, macaw,etc.) to fill the void in my life recently created by the death of my macaw, Jojo, :( I'm looking for a less expensive bird (less than 300), but would like to be given one for free if at all possible. Baby, juvenile, or adult, doesn't quite matter. I have all the equipment (Cage, accessories, etc), just looking for the bird. Would prefer that it be in Michigan, but would be willing to drive to the surrounding states. please e-mail me at cford456@hotmail.com, if you have a bird you would be willing to give a new home. thanks

Karen Hulvey
11-17-2004, 08:17 PM
Yeah, I want one too. It must be tame and talking. You need to be able to deliver it to my home in Missouri.

Karen

LOSTNCONFUSED
11-17-2004, 09:49 PM
HEY SEEING AS EVERONE WANTS A FREE BIRD THAT SOMEONE PAID A SMALL MINT FOR I MIGHT AS WELL ASK FOR ONE TO. WHY NOT?HELL I'LL EVEN PAY FOR SHIPPING! MAKE MINE A HYACINTH PLEASE

Lucille
11-19-2004, 08:49 PM
And when you give me mine I want it with a cage and a year's supply of food. And vet services. And a housekeeper once a week to vacuum up the feathers.

Viper22
11-21-2004, 08:43 AM
What a shame that people have such contempt and discord in their life that they have nothing better to do than attempt to poke fun at someone that has nothing to do with you, tsk tsk tsk...for shame.....

Karen Hulvey
11-21-2004, 11:45 AM
Dear Charles:

Sorry but I have no discord in my life. The only contempt I have is for people who BEG FOR BIRDS and, of course, people who don't understand what bird begging means (this means you) and post things such as you posted.

I'll poke fun at whatever I want to, it's still a free country last I checked. Apparently you have no sense of humor. Perhaps you need a little fun in your life. Lighten up, have fun.

Oh and the only shameful post here is the BIRD BEGGER'S post.

Karen

LOSTNCONFUSED
11-21-2004, 11:55 AM
Well said Karen!

Lucille
11-22-2004, 10:26 PM
Thank you Karen. The gimme posts get on my nerves. Bird people, those who truly love birds, understand why.

Karen Hulvey
11-22-2004, 10:40 PM
I may just be overlooking them but I've never seen a post where someone was begging for a boa or a guinea pig or a dog. Why is it always birds?

Karen

Mark and Aimee
11-22-2004, 11:37 PM
I may just be overlooking them but I've never seen a post where someone was begging for a boa or a guinea pig or a dog.

You're definitely overlooking something.

Karen Hulvey
11-23-2004, 01:21 AM
You're definitely overlooking something.

Please steer me to these posts because I've never seen one.

Thanks, Karen

chrijobengals
11-28-2004, 04:50 AM
Hi,
I emailed you and am posting it here. I have a blue&gold that I'll let go reasonable. I'm in PA. and it would have to be picked up. My email is christheone@netzero.com

Mark and Aimee
11-28-2004, 09:18 AM
Please steer me to these posts because I've never seen one.

Then you've never paid attention to them, or never looked. I didn't have to search long or hard to find these...

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56942

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55874

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51063

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48694

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36713

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26331

Many people claim to be a rescue... But can never provide any proof of their non-profit status.

Karen Hulvey
11-28-2004, 10:04 AM
OOOH you win. I'm sorry I didn't search this out. I just stated the simple fact that I'd never seen anyone begging for other animals enlightened me. Thanks so very much.

Karen

Mark and Aimee
11-28-2004, 11:20 PM
Wow, Karen. I didn't know we were having a competition. If I had known, I might have even looked beyond this site.

Get a grip. :rofl: You asked for me to steer you to these posts... And since you appear to need some hand holding - I fed you the information you so strongly desired.

Please. :bandhead0

Viper22
11-29-2004, 05:05 PM
Tsk tsk tsk......what a shame......if it's considered the norm for homo sapiens to try and undermine someone, I weep for the species... :no01: :bawling:

LOSTNCONFUSED
11-29-2004, 05:18 PM
The person being "undermined" as you put it is begging for a free bird that someone either paid alot for or put alot of time in or both that is deplorable hey viper you want a bird??? go buy one like everyone else does ! STOP BEGGING!!!!!

Lucille
11-29-2004, 11:49 PM
I think we are undermining those that, by their 'gimme's', trivialize bird owning. And rightfully so.
However, if you are on the up and up, please post your tax-free status number; certainly those who set themselves up properly as rescues and homes often have that.
Thank you to all those bird people here who are there for the birds......

Seamus Haley
11-30-2004, 02:37 AM
You know... The original poster never claimed to be a rescue and didn't specifically ask for a free (and only free) bird. He stated very clearly that he was looking for a relatively inexpensive bird but would happily accept a free one, were there one avaliable.

There is a big difference between looking for a relative bargain (Anyone who really does deal with birds knows that private breeders tend to price their avaliable animals at something around one quarter to one third of common retail prices, so an offer of three hundred for a few of the species in question, while low, isn't unheard of) and panhandling for animals. The "free" part was tacked on the end because there ARE enough birds that end up with rescue groups or the more serious brand of hobbiest that could use a more permanent home and a former bird owner with experience and equipment represents a potentially quality candidate. The cost issue might raise some questions about the ability of the buyer to afford vet care but it seems that the crowd of naysayers who went off half cocked didn't take the time to check if that was a problem or not. It *might* very well be, but nobody stopped to find out, they were too busy playing at having moral superioriority and proving that they're functionally illiterate. Reading comprehension is nifty, give it a try sometime.

Karen Hulvey
11-30-2004, 08:31 AM
(amazon, african grey, cockatoo, macaw,etc.)
I'm looking for a less expensive bird (less than 300), but would like to be given one for free if at all possible. Baby, juvenile, or adult,

Okay Seamus, which species listed above can you buy for "under $300" especially a baby or juvenile? Yes, an adult "breeder" bird that cannot be handled, I've seen older breeder greys go for $400 but never $300. Perhpas in Florida where they're overrun with birds, maybe. I was at an auction and there was a breeder LSC Too that sold for $475 and a breeder GSC Too that sold for $400, a breeder lilac crowned Amazon sold for $375. I bought my own breeder male TAG for $300 and my female for $400 so it's possible to get cheaper birds. (FYI TAGs generally run a little bit less than CAGs) But a baby, maybe out of nest for around $300, I don't believe it'll happen. Out of nest babies I've seen offered anywhere from $500-$650 but they'd then have to handfeed it out.

FYI: Calling a bird a breeder bird means you cannot handle it, it's really wild, and doesn't sound like what the original poster was looking for.

I agree that there are plenty of unwanted birds out there, this person should have contacted a rescue organization to get a bird. But, hey, rescues charge a fee and probably more than $300.

Reading comprehension is nifty, give it a try sometime. Right back at ya.

LOSTNCONFUSED
11-30-2004, 08:32 AM
frankly i would love to know where you can get an amazon, african grey, cockatoo, macaw for less than $300? because i just dont see that happening. I myself have been shopping for an african grey for well over a year (price not being a issue just looking for the right bird) and the absaloute cheapest that i have seen them is for $750 which is the breeder prices and a far cry from $300 or less as the original poster stated> he then goes on to saying that would like it to be free (hey who wouldnt?) as for your reading comprehension crack not only was it uncalled for but i find it a pitifull attempt to fill some void in your life by starting a little war of the words in your interpetation of the original post you saw nothing wrong with it , at least 5 other posters did maybe it is you that needs to reread the original post and comprhend what it is that you are reading

glider_gurl03
11-30-2004, 02:26 PM
Sorry, but I go quite frequently to auctions and such, and could have picked up an amazon at the last auction for less than $100, she wasn't completely tame, but she was younger and workable. Sure, Africans frequently go for $400+ for breeders, but I saw a pair go for $500 for the pair once. But yes, that's breeder birds. I've seen pet cockatoos go for $300...Just saw one the other day online even. There's someone on this board that was GIVEN a Congo AND a severe (I believe) Macaw...simpley because the womans grandchildren were around, and they had both picked up swearing, and she didnt' want her kids to pick it up.

And to the fact that if they can't afford the initial cost, they can't afford the vet bills, is bull. If they get the bird for $400 less, isn't that $400 more they can spend on the bird? Just wanting a bird at a discounted price isn't a crime, even begging for one isn't a crime. As one person said already, this is a free country, and free speech is still allowed. On some boards, if the reply doesn't reflect the interest of the ad, it's erased. That eliminates these discussions. Maybe it should be thought about putting into effect on this board.

Sorry...had to post my 2 cents.

Sincerely,
Rayna

Lucille
11-30-2004, 02:51 PM
Rayna, no one is quarrelling with free speech. Except, perhaps, you. If the original poster has a right to their comments (and they do) we have no less a right to ours.

Lucille
11-30-2004, 04:14 PM
Seamus has a point (as usual) but the responses of the original poster have been not what I would expect, so I will simply bow out of this conversation.

Seamus Haley
11-30-2004, 04:37 PM
Oh, no mistake Lucille, I suspect all the criticisms were correct (although I have to add that I'm influenced by the fact that the OP was also looking for venomoids) it's just that nobody actually stopped to verify anything. It was all from zero to bashing in six seconds without any effort put into determining the validity of the suspicions.

And as to the bird thing... I have seen a few different kinds of amazons go for under three hundred, timneh grays with congos for just *barely* over that and sulpher crested, citron crested and umbrella 'toos. It's not common pricing but I have seen these prices on hatchings and weanlings as well as adults... And if someone who has experience with birds wants to dedicate the time and bandaids, even problem animals can be worked with- there are PLENTY of those avaliable. There's also the large and somewhat undiscussed group of first time large pscittacine owners who can't deal with the noise or the chewing or the need for attention who'd be looking to recoup some of their financial investment and still get rid of an otherwise perfect pet bird.

Karen Hulvey
12-06-2004, 07:40 PM
Well, for everyone's information, when I first posted I was J.O.K.I.N.G. I guess no one can take a joke any more. Later it turned ugly.

Lucille
12-31-2004, 08:58 AM
I think you and I are on the same page, we both want to make sure that pet birds have good, caring homes.

dzoo
01-10-2005, 11:53 PM
"THAT SOMEONE PAID A SMALL MINT FOR"..........

The price someone originally paid for a bird usually has little to do with it when they want to GET RID of it due to noise, mess, moving, family problems etc. It is often people with little bird experience or impulse buyers who pay the highest prices for birds and they are usually the most anxious to get rid of them when things don't turn out to be as rosy as they planned.

The post that started this thread did not seem unreasonable or begging. Offering up to $300 for what she was looking for seems o.k. to me - I have been GIVEN Amazons and have purchased TAME Macaws and Greys for $100 ea. an animal shelter I volunteered at received parrots occasionally as well. A macaw and a gray were even left at the door at night in a big wrought iron cage once.

One suggestion - when you see someone advertising a bird in your local paper, even if the listed price is high, call them up, talk about the bird, tell them your experience and leave them your number if they have trouble selling it. Many times you'll get a call back in a few days and they will be willing to negotiate.....

Abby
01-22-2005, 01:27 AM
we have a yellow collar macaw for sale, if interested, email me at Abby_214@msn.com

candeefire
02-14-2005, 09:07 PM
I dont want to get involved in a argument as i am new and love animals of all sorts. :no_evil01 I am owned by 12 parrots , I have had one of my birds for 17 years and i will keep until i die and have wills made up for them as well as other groups members on yahoo who are willing to take them, I have paid 1500 for a umbrella and 400 for a baby grey and i have had a grey given to me and he is one of the best i have ever had, such a baby and a sweety, he came to us at 2 years old... I have all in between...lol... :crazy03: I love them all the same and would love to take in more if one ever needed me, I have had a female ekkie thrown in a box and put on my deck in the winter and dropped off to die i was not home and she is very very tame and sweet, I did not ask , people just knew me and knew i would take care of her i guess!! But I am looking for a mini macaw reasonably priced and would gladly take a free one if someone didint want her or him..lol..so am i begging no.. just stating a fact :-)
Good luck to all ! :nuts:
Thanks for letting me ramble!!
I do understand what you mean as people are always wanting something for nothing , but the offer of 300 was there! ;)

Forgot to add one of my toos i got from a wonderful woman who realized this big bird was too much for her so i gave her a proven pair of lovies and a bracelet and we are both happy :spinner03

jglass38
02-14-2005, 09:39 PM
Karen/Lucille/Lost,

I would ask what the hell is wrong with you, but I doubt even the best psychiatrist could figure that out. You jump on someone for no reason at all, just to make a point (albeit one that is still a mystery to me). The person stated that their pet died and they are looking to fill a void in their life. I don't see the problem. What I see is a bunch of sad losers tearing into someone for no apparent reason. I am all for beating up on people when the situation calls for it, but this one didnt. Feel free to go back to your lives as saviors of the birds. I am sure this evil person has been made to feel bad enough.

Peace..

Jamie

Abby
02-18-2005, 04:59 PM
A men to that! :)

jokenbbt
10-30-2006, 09:02 PM
Oh OH I musst have mine cleaned every other day but really I need a free SI Eclectus if it breeds with my female I offer a pick out of the first 3 hatches

Mooing Tricycle
10-30-2006, 09:06 PM
actually this person did say they were looking to pay. I dont think its an unreasonable post at all. But if somone was adopting one out, they would gladly take it.

Cat_72
10-30-2006, 09:09 PM
Seeing as this thread is 2 years old, it's not going to do much good to bring it up again anyway...... ;)

Mooing Tricycle
10-30-2006, 09:10 PM
You know... The original poster never claimed to be a rescue and didn't specifically ask for a free (and only free) bird. He stated very clearly that he was looking for a relatively inexpensive bird but would happily accept a free one, were there one avaliable.

Amen to that. Thank you for posting. I completely agree! :iagree:

Mooing Tricycle
10-30-2006, 09:12 PM
Seeing as this thread is 2 years old, it's not going to do much good to bring it up again anyway...... ;)

lol Gotta love when old threads are brought up. im used to most being new.

Ah well. More unessicary posting i suppose!

jokenbbt
11-03-2006, 01:59 PM
Do ya still have the bird if so age sex nature price cage ect from sandusky

Cat_72
11-04-2006, 08:42 AM
Joe, the original ad is not only 2 years old, it was also a "wanted" ad by someone looking for a parrot. You may want to be sure to check the dates and read the whole ad next time, you'll have better luck. ;)