PDA

View Full Version : How do people ship so cheaply?

Palex134
11-28-2004, 04:20 PM
In many ads, people say shipping is only 15-30. How is it so cheap? What companys do they use?

The Reptile House
11-28-2004, 04:27 PM
I would think thay are taking it off the price of the reptile and eating the cost some way. There are no overnight companies that ship for that low as far as I know UNLESS you are a huge distributer that ships out 100's of boxes a week- they have low rates like that even some lower.

Shanell The Reptile House

SPJ
11-28-2004, 04:32 PM
Cheapest price I have ever been billed for overnight delivery to a customer was $32. Most of the time the packages I ship run between $35 and $40.
Unless they roll some of the shipping cost into the price of the animal, it's hard to believe the cost could be that low unless they are shipping USPS and not using an overnight carrier.

Palex134
11-28-2004, 04:49 PM
Cheapest price I have ever been billed for overnight delivery to a customer was $32. Most of the time the packages I ship run between $35 and $40.

what company do you ship with?

MatthewK
11-28-2004, 05:26 PM
UPS runs me $35 anywhere basicly.

SPJ
11-28-2004, 08:46 PM
I use DHL.
If I charge $35, that covers about 95% of my shipments. A few larger, heavier packages have run about $37 and $40.

Palex134
11-28-2004, 08:50 PM
I use DHL.
If I charge $35, that covers about 95% of my shipments. A few larger, heavier packages have run about $37 and $40.

Is it legal and reliable to ship harmless snakes using DHL or UPS?

SPJ
11-28-2004, 09:18 PM
Not sure about UPS but I have a "reptile shipping account" with DHL. I was approved when they used to be Airborne but now that DHL took them over, they still pick up and deliver just as before. I mark the packages with what's in them and have never had a problem with the "new" company (just some odd looks from the drivers when I hand them the boxes LOL).

The Reptile House
11-28-2004, 09:33 PM
Unless you have a contract with a certain company it is illegal to ship snakes with any of them. I have a contract with FedEx and mark all my boxes accordingly with what is inside and all get there just fine.

Doesent DHL use the postal company or is that just for there ground shipments. I had ordered something from a company not reptile related though and it was suposed to come to my door and get a signature but the post office just put it in my mail box?

Shanell

SPJ
11-28-2004, 10:07 PM
It might just for ground shipments.
I always have DHL pull up when they pickup or deliver something. I have never had USPS involved with anything from DHL but then again all of my stuff is going overnight air.
Set up an account with them directly. Mine took about a week to get approved when Airborne was in control. One thing I have noticed is that the rates have gone up since DHL took over.

The Reptile House
11-28-2004, 10:13 PM
Everyones rates went up some companies alot more than others. With my FedEx account if I ship online I get an aditional 10% off all my shipments.
Shanell

Arnold8169
12-10-2004, 04:55 PM
Okay, if you ship with U.S.P.S. it's perfectly legal for cold blooded animals, excluding snakes and turtles. Express, when gauranteed to be there next day by 12 or 3 is the way to go. I pay no more than 25.00 overnight using them and if they are late by one minute you get shipping back. I ship bearded dragons and they adults with heat pack and insulated box weigh less than 2 pounds usually and that's $17.85! There is also a trick to ge them to be late and get your shipping back every single time, but I can't tell you that one yet.......it's perfectly legal.

Jeff

SPJ
12-12-2004, 01:09 PM
That's fine for lizards but you cannot ship snakes USPS.
Crazy if you ask me. It's perfectly legal to ship a gator USPS but it's illegal to ship a corn snake.

audrypayne
12-13-2004, 07:21 AM
In many ads, people say shipping is only 15-30. How is it so cheap? What companys do they use?
I think that is for USPS priority shipping charges. The package is not guaranteed overnight & usually takes 1-2 days.
Cricket

Beyond the Web
12-14-2004, 07:00 PM
Oh c'mon teach us that trick, great master!! :rofl:

glider_gurl03
12-15-2004, 02:57 PM
Okay, if you ship with U.S.P.S. it's perfectly legal for cold blooded animals, excluding snakes and turtles. Express, when gauranteed to be there next day by 12 or 3 is the way to go. I pay no more than 25.00 overnight using them and if they are late by one minute you get shipping back. I ship bearded dragons and they adults with heat pack and insulated box weigh less than 2 pounds usually and that's $17.85! There is also a trick to ge them to be late and get your shipping back every single time, but I can't tell you that one yet.......it's perfectly legal.

Jeff

Hi...Sorry to butt in, but the more you try to get your shipping money back, the more USPS isn't going to want to ship your shipments. I raise poultry, and we ship USPS, and if the animal is in good health, even if it's late, we try to tell people NOT to complain, because we don't want to go back to paying $100+ to ship birds through the airlines. Just keep that in mind, please. To save a little money now, you may be cursing the next generation into paying for it BIG time...

Rayna