PDA

View Full Version : snake laws in california

madragon
11-30-2004, 10:38 PM
does anyone know any laws or ordinances for california

reptilebreeder
12-01-2004, 11:10 PM
Did you have any specific concerns? Probably be easier to answer.
Keeping in general;
Non-Venomous you can keep just about everything. Venomous only native, no exotics. Breeding, you can breed non-native and certain native species-Gopher snakes, Ca King snakes, & Rosy Boas only, and you need a captive breeders permit for the native species. There are possession limits on wild caught snakes.
note These are state regs. Cities and conties may have additional regulations. ie. Many cities won't allow any venomous, even though they may not be illegal on the state level. Many cities counties also have limits on the big stuff (Boas and Pythons etc)

Beyond the Web
12-11-2004, 02:53 AM
You can also have one of each native species of snakes in California, be sure to check with your city/county ordinances through a Sporting Goods store or SPCA Agency.

Beyond the Web
12-11-2004, 02:54 AM
You can also have one of each native species of snakes in California, be sure to check with your city/county ordinances through a Sporting Goods store or SPCA Agency.

I meant 2 of each species is the limit.

reptilebreeder
12-11-2004, 02:51 PM

The possession limit for Gopher Snakes and CA Kingsnakes is 4.

odatria
12-17-2004, 08:16 PM

There are also several species that are native to California that are restricted. "Two of each species" is a broad statement that is not accurate when taking into consideration the endangered and protected species within the state. As has been mentioned allready the bag limit for Pituophis is 4. Also, the last time I checked there was not a bag limit on Crotalus. This however, may have changed as I seem to recall it was being reconsidered.

Wilomn
01-07-2005, 03:53 PM
Gosh, according to ol' petey boy I can collect zonatas then too. I wonder if there are any regulations that prohibit collecting in national parks or anything.

petey, what do you say? I want to know what NOT to do.