PDA

View Full Version : Help: sick blood

CurlyA
12-01-2004, 04:10 PM
My 04 red blood is sick. Her mouth is puffy, it looks like her gums are getting swollen and her mouth wont shut all the way. Whats wrong and what can I do?

screamdreams
12-01-2004, 09:50 PM
Enclosure temps, substrate, etc. Also origin, WC, CB, LTC??
Sounds like an RI or mouthrot, or both. You really should seek a qualified vet.

My advice IF it is an RI, sterilize eviroment, newspaper substrate, make available a small bowl of fresh water only a couple hours each day, and increase temps. You'll want DRY heat, although some may disagree, this is information I received first hand from two very experienced keepers. I've only had a few Bloods affected by RI's in 15+ years keeping/breeding them. Out of 30+ animals, the two or so animals survived, and showed signs of improvement soon after using the dry heat method. In my opinion, Bloods don't do well with antibodies, from my experience it can increase stress levels, which may cause long periods without feeding, and overall captive condition, but that's just my educated opinion :) Best of luck, they're awesome animals to work with!!! Keep me posted!!

MGReptiles
12-03-2004, 03:15 PM
Is there cheese like stuff comming out of its mouth? Is open mouth (gaping) breathing? Open the snakes mouth and see whats inside. I am thinking mouth rot....

SnakeCharmerGuy37
12-04-2004, 06:42 AM
Sounds like a severe case of MOUTH BITTEN BY LIVE FOOD or she struck the glass & she now has Mouth Rot it can be treated locally at your reptile vet or some pet stores here used to sell mouth rot meds to be treated at home but me personally id take her to a good reptile vet that deals with snakes because untreated the snake could stop eating & infection sets in & the snake can die hope you get her taken care of soon Bye CentralOhioSnakeCharmerGuy

MGReptiles
12-04-2004, 06:46 AM
Virosan can be used to treat minor MR if it is severe antibiotics are in order. Bytril(sp) is the norm for herp infections...