PDA

View Full Version : WTB - leopard tortoise or red foot.

Humansculptures
07-12-2016, 08:12 PM
Hi. I'm looking to buy either a leopard or red foot tortoise. Actually, I'm open to any tortoise that's very people friendly except for sulcatas as they get too large for me. A leopard is the biggest I can house for its entire life. I'm in NJ and would prefer a local sale as I'd rather not have an animal shipped. Please let me know what you have for sale. Again, I want it to be people friendly as in it will take food from my hand and let me touch it's shell, legs and head without pulling in. Thanks!!

nickolasanastasiou
07-12-2016, 09:51 PM
Just FYI on a couple of things -

Chelonian sales within NJ might be prohibited by law unless something changed or there are some exceptions. Not that it does not happen, but I would look into neighboring states if wanting it to be a close-by in-person purchase.

As for the hand-feeding and a more outgoing nature, while some individuals within species and some species/subspecies overall may be known for being less inhibited/fearful of human owners, a lot of it comes from you, the animal, and the work/effort you put into familiarizing the animal with your presence as a non-threat (and food/comfort provider). Some animals are more reserved or less by nature, but most tortoises will come to recognize their owners in the way you are hoping for over time and with repeated interactive efforts by the owner.