PDA

View Full Version : Reptile Cages/Rack Systems Inquiry

crmowell
12-08-2004, 09:36 AM
Hello All~
I have reached that point in my collection [as most of us usually do] where I am going to have to consider purchasing a rack system of some sort to conserve space for some of my animals. I have looked at several different sites and made inquiries on specifics for different models. Additionally, I have also been watching/searching various posts here about different manufacturers/suppliers and noticed that there are a lot of extremes in opinions on what is good and what isn’t [which is typical, I know].
The result of all this, however, is that I’m pretty confused as to who offers a quality cage, at a good price with good service and delivery. Therefore, I would welcome any feedback or recommendations anyone might have on the subject. Thanks!

Kind regards~

Rob Mowell

lds2
12-08-2004, 01:19 PM
I would like to know what you are housing. I am currently using Snake Shacks
made by Casey Hulse at Nature's Spirit Reptiles. They work out very well for my colubrids and Rosy Boas. I am using some of his bigger racks with belly heat for my ball pythons. These are quality, affordable racks that I have been using for a couple of years now and have had no problems. Their customer service is unbeatable as well.

crmowell
12-08-2004, 02:24 PM
Hi Larry~
I am curently using "All-Glass Critter Cages" and I have a Caulker Cay Boa in a 10 gal size which she is about to grow out of. I have just aquired a couple of Colubridaes [Corn and Milksnake] that will need larger caging in the not too distant future as well. A rack is a last resort for me, as I like to keep them in a nice vivarium whenever possible, but I'm just running out of space. Thanks for the info.

Kindest regards~

Rob Mowell

Therm
12-08-2004, 08:45 PM
Short and sweet, can't go wrong and I'm more then please with every aspect of Nature's spirt, snack shacks!
Casey and Darla, the best!

-Justin Higgs
ECTOTHERMZ...

evansnakes
12-09-2004, 12:19 AM
For colubrid snakes, I agree. For boas and ball pythons I strongly disagree. The reason that almost all serious hobbiests and breeders working with quantities of boas and balls have gone to either Freedom Breeder or one of the other companies making comparable racks is because they are what works best. You can go down the list of Reptile Industries, BHB Enterprises, Pete Kahl, Ralph Davis, NERD and on and on and they all use those racks. The animals need the ventilation and air flow that the racks allow, that standard style sweater box units do not. They can be expensive if you were buying housing for many animals but if you figure that a level (you can buy levels individually that stack or you can buy full racks) will hold 3-4 animals for $200-300, that is not really bad considering it comes with heat built in, the tubs are nearly indestructible abs plastic and the frame is all solid metal. They will outlast the plastic rack units and will offer much more flexible heating options as you can position the heat anywhere along the length of the units. If you are serious about building a boa/ball collection you should look into them. Evan

lds2
12-09-2004, 10:11 AM
Evan,

I would agree with you that Freedom Breeder racks are great, especially if you are going to have a large collection of boas or ball pythons. The problem with those style racks for me is the issue of controlling the ambient temperature in the room where the snakes are being kept, in my case, the lower level of my home. During this time of year, the room temperature in my lower level can be 5-7 degrees cooler than my main level. In order for me to keep the room temperature where it needs to be, I would have to install a whole new dual zone heating system. The racks that Casey makes allow me to control the ambient temps much more easily than I would be able to with a Freedom Breeder. I understand your concern with the issue of air flow and the simple solution is venting the rack, which I do for the larger racks that hold my ball pythons.

The issue of air flow is something that Casey has been thinking about as well. He and I have talked, and I believe he has some new prototypes in the works adressing these issues. I would love to have a whole Freedom Breeder rack system, but I do not beleive that it would be best for my snakes at the present time.

evansnakes
12-11-2004, 03:04 AM
Hey Larry, it make me really happy to just to see somebody who is so focused on what is good for his animals. I hope you guys can figure something out. Many people have gone to covering a portion of the grate on the freedom breeder levels with plastic sheeting to control heat and humidity better. Whatever works for you and your animals is what is important. Good luck with everything. Evan

DAND
12-13-2004, 06:29 AM
I use Nature's Spirit / Snake Shacks - Casey and Darla can't be beat when it comes to customer service. As to the ventilation issue, I either drill or melt holes with a soldering iron in the tubs. It takes some time but there isn't any condensation build up or any other problems. Just make sure the holes aren't too big for the snake to escape.

evansnakes
12-13-2004, 08:59 AM
Hey David, we didn't mean that. Of course we put holes in the shoe or sweater boxes but if you haven't seen a freedom breeder rack here are pics for comparrison.

So your shoe or sweater box can have some air holes in the sides but the freedom breeder style racks have the entire top of the units ventilated.

MGReptiles
12-13-2004, 06:41 PM
Hey Evan looks like your hands are full aith all those balls.. I thought Id be a friend and see if you want me to take some for a while??? With breeding rights of course..lol..

evansnakes
12-13-2004, 07:13 PM
Matt, now you are talking. Why didn't anyone else offer, sooner? How about I send 100 your way and I can get some cages cleaned? But then what the heck would I do with myself all weekend if not feed and clean ball pythons? I would be lost. You know our football team sucks and there is no hockey so my life is dull already. :toiletcla

MGReptiles
12-13-2004, 11:22 PM
Yeah, I find myself kinda lost when everytihgn is done.. All the poop is cleaned up all the water is taken care of... Then I realize Ihave to much time on my hands and start looking for a new snake on the classifieds..lol...