PDA

View Full Version : SOLD!! Calabrian Western Hermann's Tortoise Babies

brugaugler
09-11-2016, 02:45 PM
I am offering a trio of Calabrian locale western Hermann's tortoises. They are the following:
#3 : Studbook # 2032, born 1/25/16, incubated for male, 35g
#4: Studbook # 2033, born 1/30/16, incubated for female, 35g
#5: Studbook # 2034, born 1/30/16, incubated for female, 40g
Here is how I have been successfully keeping them:
Substrate: Coco fiber alone or mixed with sphagnum moss, topsoil and cypress mulch.
Depth of Substrate: At least 2 inches, up to 5 inches; babies will bury down into it; if too deep, it will be hard to find the babies.

Substrate Maintenance: Water is added daily to keep it moist; upon adding water, the substrate is turned over by hand; this softens up the substrate to allow easier digging.

Lighting: Fluorescent full spectrum and UVB bulbs are used for illumination; a small spot light is used to provide a warm spot; babies will move into and out of the warm spot as need be; lights are used from 5 AM until 7 PM.

Water: A water bowel is not used in the enclosure; Babies are soaked daily for 15 minutes to ensure proper hydration and to promote defecation; such soakings can be done more than once per day; typically soaking is done in the AM prior to offering food.

Food: A variety of store bought greens are used: romaine lettuce, chicory, escarole, Boston lettuce, spring mix, baby bok choy, mixed thawed vegetables, etc…; weeds can be used, if available; food offerings are chopped up and dusted with Repcal with D3 and with Herptivite multivitamins.

Cage Furniture: An artificial plant is used to provide some cover.

These are priced at $600 each (shipping included) or all three for $1500. If you have any questions, please let me know at brugaugler@rcn.com. Thanks. -Larry Gaugler, NYC