PDA

View Full Version : blood python

IvoryExotics
12-14-2004, 12:38 AM
my blood python hace absolutly no grip when i hold it. is this normal?

Nirvana
12-14-2004, 12:48 PM
Pretty much, yeah.

They're ground pythons, and tend not to grip very hard onto things like branches and your hand. In fact, if you aren't careful handing them they will flop out of your hand and onto the floor!

Of course, it shouldn't seem sick or weak at all. They are still very strong snakes, as they are still constrictors -- they just don't have any real ability to grip onto things like a Burm or Ball python would.

Sand&SunReptile
12-14-2004, 03:53 PM
You should give him a look over.
It is normal if he has a feelable muscle tone. If he feels soft, and more or less "squishy" then it could be a problem.
If he feels like there is some muscle under there, then he is fine, just a typical lazy ground python.

IvoryExotics
12-14-2004, 07:42 PM
no muscle. squishy. and when isay no grip i mean she doesnt even constrict food like she did when i first got her. my vet says she is fine but im still worried.

Sand&SunReptile
12-15-2004, 08:25 AM
Wow, then I would guess maybe there are internal parasites...
Does she eat fine? Or does she have eating difficulties, and/or not eat with regularity?

IvoryExotics
12-15-2004, 07:46 PM
no..she eats well she just cannot constrict

Nirvana
12-16-2004, 02:11 PM
Hmm...

I have a blood python that is exactly like that -- he feels VERY squishy, and eats (sometimes) but does not ever constrict his food.

I know I originally implied that you had nothing to worry about, and you may not -- all bloods are somewhat squishy and don't really hold on to you much, but they should be able to constrict with force.

I had assumed that this was just my pet's personality, but maybe I'm wrong -- if you're concerned about your blood, I would take him to the vet -- I'm now considering doing the same for mine.

Hope your pet is OK --

ChaosCat
12-18-2004, 12:24 AM
My borneo baby is slightly squishy too, and he eats like a pig. He's also perfectly healthy :)

Sand&SunReptile
12-18-2004, 08:17 AM
I may not have been descriptive enough. They will all be slightly "squishy". It is just their natural build.
But if you feel not an ounce of muscle in there, and the snake is more limp then you would usually see in a snake, then there is likely a problem.
I have heard on no constriction feeding from boids, but that is only on long term frozen thawed from what I've seen.

SWAG
12-21-2004, 04:24 PM
How "squishy" a snake is, quite obviously, is a rather subjective matter. If your vet says its fine, I wouldn't worry. One of my Borneo STPs has never constricted her prey in the time I've had her--since she was five months old. Another, that I purchased as yearling, does or doesn't constrict seemingly at whim. Its pretty common--in the wild, many boids will chow down on dead stuff too, and some seem to distinguish between the two rather easily. My larger red (misnomer in this case) blood is a very, very, strong snake, but I would never know it from holding her--she will slip out of my hands, off the chair, etc. In the wild, it is unlikely that a blood or STP would ever find itself off the ground. You can tell her strength when she decides to thrash around though (rarely, when she gets spooked). Bloods are frequently a little overweight in captivity, but other than that, I doubt yours has any problems. As to "internal parasites," be they bane that they are, they don't result in "squishy" snakes of good body-weight, they result in sick and/or emaciated snakes. In general, if its feeding, things are going to be alright.

coyote
12-29-2004, 02:06 AM
Inclusion Body Disease?

My blood eats fine, he does wrap around his prey but no more than he has to. He feels soft and squishy. But, he has enough muscle tone when he wants to. Like when trying to escape his soaking tub or when he strikes. Being a terrestrial ambush predator, he does not "cling" when I hold him like my rainbow boa or even the kings will. I am careful to always be mindful of this when I have him out.