PDA

View Full Version : News article on NY state ban

Clay Davenport
12-14-2004, 01:01 AM
State law ready to bare sharp teeth at pet owners with exotic beasties

Corydon Ireland
Staff Writer

By Jan. 1, New York state will have the toughest law in the country banning private ownership of venomous reptiles, constricting snakes, crocodiles, big cats and other exotic animals that could pose a danger to their owners.
The ban will exceed laws in 23 other states that require permits, and go well beyond the 26 states that require none.

Monroe County has no parallel law or permit requirement. But in 2000, Rochester passed a ban on most exotic pets, including the odd (hedgehogs, prairie dogs) and the unlikely (elephants, bighorn sheep). City officials were acting on complaints about people attending public festivals with their pet venomous snakes.

Under the new state law, some businesses will take a hit. Regulators, meanwhile, are scrambling to deal with new registration requirements. Experts are divided on the law's value.

Enforcement

The law will be hard to enforce, some experts say, and also will restrict personal liberties. "The conscientious people may be more affected than the ones you want to control," said Tom Hudak, a Rochester wildlife educator who helped shape the final language of the law.

On the other hand, he said, "maybe everybody out there shouldn't get a black mamba," a soon-to-be-banned snake that is fast, agile and packs a fatal bite. On the prohibited list: big monitor lizards, large constricting snakes (still legal in Rochester), big cats, bears and certain primates. The coming ban reflects a general fear that these animals can bite, claw, inject venom or act as vectors for disease.

Enforcement actions by the state Department of Environmental Conservation did not drive the state law. There are only "a few to none" annually in each DEC region, said agency spokeswoman Maureen Wren.

In the Rochester area, DEC Region 8 issued four tickets in 2002 for exotic animal violations, and none since then. (In one of the actions, three timber rattlesnakes were seized in Henrietta after a man was bitten. He had illegally taken them from a den in Steuben County.)

Dr. Beth Jamison, who sees exotic animals in her practice at the Livonia Veterinary Hospital, called the ban list "reasonable."

It protects people, she said, as well as exotic animals with exacting requirements for food and environments controlled for temperature and humidity.

The law "doesn't restrict average people from owning a snake," she said. "They just can't have a cobra or a python."

Current owners of the animals can keep them but have to register them with the DEC within 60 days after Jan. 1.

DEC officials in Albany are working out details, and they plan to enforce the law, said Wren.

Registration will include an agreement not to breed the animals and to provide veterinary care. Two-year permits will cost no more than $80 per animal; exact fees have not been set yet.

"Not everybody should have a 15-foot boa constrictor," agreed Bob Krantz of Buffalo, education director of the Western New York Herpetological Society.

"And you don't want to break into a house and find a gorilla there," he said, referring to a 2003 state law that requires registering dangerous pets to protect such first responders as fire, ambulance and police officials.

But Krantz said the law would be impossible to enforce, would cost taxpayers more money than registration fees bring in, covers too many animals and restricts private owners who "serve nature" by breeding species of animals endangered in the wild.

Worst, "there's going to be an underground" of exotic pets, he said, "and that's a shame."

Krantz, vice president of the society and a Buffalo Zoo docent, said ferrets were banned in New York City in 1999 — but merchants there still sell 10,000 pounds of ferret food a week.

The new law exempts licensed wildlife rehabilitators, veterinarians, exhibitors, zoos, researchers and educators.

Hudak keeps at least 25 venomous reptiles and an assortment of other soon-to-be-banned animals in an East Main Street warehouse.

He specializes in reptiles and trains people who may encounter the dangerous ones: police and conservation officers, as well as soldiers headed overseas.

What will it mean?

The banned creatures are not big sellers, so most retailers won't get hurt, said Sally Reaves, of Wildlife Educational Encounters in Marion, Wayne County. She also owns the Kritter Korner pet store, in Canandaigua, Ontario County.

But money isn't the point, said Angelo DiPasquale, owner of Reptile Showcase in Rochester. DiPasquale called the law "ill-advised" and ignorant of the risk exotic animals actually pose.

Exotics seized by or surrendered to the DEC would be turned over to appropriate zoos, sanctuaries "or shall be humanely euthanized," the law reads.

Giving away such animals as a result of the law would not be easy, said Christopher Fitzgerald, director of animal services for Rochester. The city's Verona Street shelter takes in dogs and cats.

Lollipop Farm will take exotics, but it warns owners that the pets will be euthanized. The Seneca Park Zoo doesn't take animals from private citizens.

Link (http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20041210/NEWS01/412100374/1002/NEWS)

Vince
12-14-2004, 03:08 PM
why the &^@% :hot: would lolliepop farm take the aniamls if they are just going to put them down!?

Karen Hulvey
12-14-2004, 09:48 PM
What the heck a 15-foot boa constrictor? Is this possible? I've seen 10 footers but 15'. Those poor people can't own pythons? I guess somebody's ball python killed them, HUH? Maybe somebody's Children's python bit them and they bled to death???

Stupid laws enacted by uneducated people are very scary.

Clay Davenport
12-15-2004, 08:37 AM
Just a clarification for those who haven't read the bill. The python ban only applies to the giants, burms, retics, rocks and anacondas. Ball pythons and such are not included.

Karen Hulvey
12-15-2004, 10:54 AM
Oops, thanks, I didn't read the bill, my bad.

Chris@TSE
12-16-2004, 04:56 PM
And what will this mean to businesses such as ours operating in New York....?

Some clarification would be appreciated...

We will obviously have to stop carrying certain specimens here unfortunately, but will transactions placed through a new york company for large constrictors be valid and legal if shipped from a facility outside of new york?

Are there new liscences available or exceptions?

We have a partner who is willing to house the large boids we regularly stock and we're currently researching ways to continue offering our customers these specimens without hindering our ability to conduct business.

We want to operate 100% within these new laws, so any information and suggestions would be greatly appeciated. Otherwise we will be making the appropriate changes to our available stock.

Diapsid
02-17-2005, 09:57 PM
From what I understand, venomous reptiles are banned entirely. There are five species of pythons (retics, burms, african rocks, amethystine pythons and anacondas (I think)) that are banned (I would have to read the law again). Moving from Arizona just a few weeks before the law went live, I was extremely disappointed because I thought I would finally be able to keep an albino Eastern diamondback ... wrong!

I still can't believe that this law was passed.

Anyway, once we get the money, we are relocating to a state that DOES allow venomous reptiles... :) I've longed to own Gila's and other venomous species, but now my dream has been crushed by ill-educated ... people. I had other words intended, believe me.

I spoke with the New York State Senate before leaving Arizona. I was told all of my all of my ball pythons and boas are legal. If the law banned all snakes in the Boidae family, I would have never started that long journey to New York.

Lets hope that other states don't follow suit.

Best regards,
Dustin J. Cox
Diapsid, Inc.