PDA

View Full Version : Great Basin Rattlesnake

Gabriel Riley
12-27-2004, 07:03 AM
I have a young Great Basin Rattlesnake. It is less then a year and came off the desert. It is a beautiful little snake but I am a little troubled. I have had and have may different snakes but never a pit viper. The problem is I have had the snake for a few months and have not been able to get him to eat. This has never happened to me. I have tryed feeding live and frozen thawed pinkies. Does anyone have any suggestions that my help me out?

Thanks,

Gabe

Rattlesnake
12-28-2004, 12:20 PM
Yes, let the snake go!

themancmt
02-16-2005, 12:44 AM
Yes, let the snake go!
increase temp and lighting and if that dont work try giving him cold blooded animals like lizards and if that dont work through him in a tank with aking snake and watch em fight!!! just kidding. :smokin:

snakegetters
02-18-2005, 10:08 PM
Make sure the husbandry is spot on. Mimic the natural environment as best you can, with appropriate temperature range, humidity and hide spots. Offer prey similar to what this species may take in the wild. Some young rattlesnakes are lizard eaters by preference, though most will accept pinkies or fuzzies.

Once you are sure the environment is bang-on correct for the species, if the snake still won't eat, it's a good bet that it has a problem with parasites. Doing a fecal check is a good idea. Some keepers just shotgun with Panacur and Flagyl, which are pretty good standbys.

My web page has a lot of articles on how to medicate and assist feed venomous species. http://www.snakegetters.com