PDA

View Full Version : Owner of a new Brooksi Kingsnake!

Brooksi
12-28-2004, 02:58 PM
Whats up everyone, just saying hey since I am the owner of a new Brooksi King. A nice looking 4 month old, wish I had some pics right now but seems like it is getting ready to shed. The eyes are clouded and the luster is gone. Should have some pics after the shedding. I have two starter questions.

1. Typically snakes do not like being handled after eating right?
2. I have a heating lamp (the purple tinted type) but up here in New England it is cold, are there other ways I should heat my 15 gallon tank so he can be comfortable?

Sorry for the huge post, but looks like people know there stuff around here and can handle it. Thanks everyone.

_The New Guy

Sasheena
12-28-2004, 09:15 PM
First: Congratulations!

Second: Yes, they do not like to be held or handled after eating. I would suggest that you should leave him alone for at least 24 hours... longer if there is still a discernible lump.

Third: You should try to get some form of undertank heater instead of a light. If you have a "people" heating pad that does not automatically turn off, that will work for you temporarily, but you'll eventually need to get an undertank heater for him. Don't be tempted by "heat rocks" which can be dangerous and injure or even kill your herp. This is one of the most crucial pieces of "furniture" for your snake, as it will help him digest his meals quickly.

snakeboy123987
12-29-2004, 12:07 AM
ya all snakes dont like to be held after eating.in fact they will regurgitate.so you should just leave the snake for a day or so before you touch it. and also make sure not to feed the snake in the cage.thats a bad habit for the snake.you dont want him to think whenever you reach your hand in his tank that it is feeding time.also this way the snake knows that you are putting him in the thing you let him eat in he will know it is eating time.and about the heat.you probably need to get rid of the heat light and get a heat pad and tape it to the bottom of the cage(only in one sectiomn so he can thermoregulate).it will be closer to him and he will get better heat that way.it will also help the digestive process.your snake will be way happier with the heat pad.

AcesKings
12-29-2004, 05:18 PM
Since you already have the heat lamp, you could just try using a higher watt bulb (make sure your lamp can handle the wattage). If you still can't get the tank warm enough, then use the under tank heater with a regulator (rheostat) so it doesn't overheat the tank. Make sure you get proper temp readings on the bottom of the tank!!! Another thing is you don't need a black bulb for a snake. You can use normal everyday incandescent lamps ;)

A Florida King will need a larger inclosure than a 15 gal. Since it's still a juvenile the 15 will be OK for it's first year or so, but you will need to move him up at some time ;).

Brooksi
12-30-2004, 07:13 PM
Hey, thanks for the feedback everyone. I am excited for the caring of the snake.

I didn't know I shouldnt feed him in his own cage, but I do take him out frequently so he is used to human handling. I am thinking that since he is taken out often to be held, it wont think whenever i reach my hand in there it is feeding time. But I will keep that in mind.

Thanks again everyone, definitely a nice welcome to the forums.

Sasheena
12-30-2004, 08:19 PM
Feeding in or out of the enclosure is a decision you will have to make for yourself. Some people will swear by the need to feed outside of the enclosure, others don't feel that strongly about it. The main thing is to learn all the pieces of advice people will give you and then decide for yourself what it is you should do! Just keep an open mind and be ready to change your practices if you discover something doesn't work for you.

Case in point: I'd heard when keeping a couple of cornsnakes in the same enclosure, never to feed them together in the same enclosure. I didn't have a strong sense of this, and so decided to experiment with it myself, to see what I would discover to be right or wrong... well very soon I discovered that "people" were right, ... as I had to take a LIVE pinky and cut it in half, since the two snakes both latched onto opposite ends. It was cut the pinky in half, or have one cornsnake eat the other! SO I learned my lesson. But there are other things that people say that I don't agree with. All the advice you receive is there to help you make your own choice, and then you decide what is right and do it.

Brandon Osborne
12-30-2004, 09:42 PM
Hey, thanks for the feedback everyone. I am excited for the caring of the snake.

I didn't know I shouldnt feed him in his own cage, but I do take him out frequently so he is used to human handling. I am thinking that since he is taken out often to be held, it wont think whenever i reach my hand in there it is feeding time. But I will keep that in mind.

Thanks again everyone, definitely a nice welcome to the forums.

It's not necessary to feed in a seperate container. I have about 40 brooksi in my collection, and they're all fed within their enclosures. Some will have a more aggressive feeding response and this you'll have to figure out for yourself. Saying they shouldn't be fed in their cage is nonsense. Some people do it, but it's not necessary. Enjoy your new brooksi.

Brandon Osborne
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=19452&stc=1