PDA

View Full Version : refreezing rats?

MeTaLpYtHoN
12-28-2004, 09:47 PM
my ball python just refused a f/t rat that i offered, so will it be ok to freeze it again and offer it again someother time? will this affect the rat in any way that can harm my python? just to be on the safe side...

BryonsBoas
12-28-2004, 10:34 PM
Depends on how long its been thawed out. Usually an hour or two at the most won't hurt to be refrozen. I have a male boa that wouldn't take a frozen thawed rat unless it was refrozen and thawed out again. He never took it the first time but wouldn't hesitate when I thawed it a 2nd time. i guess it was the smell or something.

BryonsBoas
12-28-2004, 10:36 PM
I probably should've mentioned that you should toss it if it was to new addition to your collection. I only refreeze feeders if they are being offered to my established animals. Anything offered to quarentined animals is tossed if refused or not eaten.

MR_Jungle_Mist
12-29-2004, 11:54 AM
Also - make sure you are a little more delicate with the refrozen/rethawed rat. The few times we've done that here I've found the feeder to be a little more prone to the tail just popping off or the fur coming off easily, etc etc.

As Bryon said it should be ok after just a short while but if it's been out all day or overnight I'd toss it and try again with a freshly thawed feeder at a later time.

MeTaLpYtHoN
12-29-2004, 02:16 PM
ok thanks for help guys

BryonsBoas
12-29-2004, 02:26 PM
Yeah , especially mice. They don't seem to take to refreezing and being thawed back out too well. I usually just toss mice. They have a tendancy to pop if they've been refrozen.