PDA

View Full Version : Cats around kings

Mateo
12-31-2004, 02:13 PM
My ten year old daughter and I are considering getting a baby king snake, but we have a male cat who has hunted bunnies and mice outside. Can cats and snakes co-exist peacefully indoors?

Wilomn
12-31-2004, 02:42 PM
They do just fine together. Seems I've always had cats and kings, sometimes more of each than anyone really should.

Make sure that your cage is catproof. Screentops can be pulled off or sat on.

After a while they ignore eachother completely.

Sasheena
12-31-2004, 02:56 PM
Yes, be very careful that the snake cage is both escape proof so the king doesn't get out, and kitty proof. I lost one of my very best kingsnakes because the cat sat on the screen lid while I was at work until it collapsed. I am hoping I'll find him in spring, but am not holding my breath.

The cats also let out another of my kings.... but since she is a 5 foot long and quite massive Apalachicola Kingsnake, we got home to the cats acting incredibly spooked. My guess is that the kingsnake tormented the cats until we got hom and saved them. Luckily the king was easily found.

AcesKings
12-31-2004, 06:55 PM
I've had the same problem with our cat sitting on the tanks. I was told to pinch the cats ear if I caught him doing it, because this is how mother cats "discipline" kittens. I figured...OK, whatever :rolleyes:. Then I caught my cat doing it once, I pinched his ear, and haven't had any problems since. Sometimes even the weirdest things work ;) LOL

Scarlett_Fawn
12-31-2004, 09:42 PM
lol Yeah, I have 3 cats and I USED to have a cal king until the screen lid caved in from frequent sitting by multiple users. The snake escaped and I haven't been able to find him in 4 years. I put my tanks on some shelves, and that made it a whole lot harder for them to sit on them, but by now my cats aren't very interested anymore. In the beginning I had to use a water spray bottle quite frequently on them... I don't know if it helped correct their behavior that well, but it sure was a heck of a lot of fun for me! (mwahahaha!) I had some anoles that died of stress from the constant sitting, but the kingsnake didn't seem to be bothered much by the sitting. He still ate regularly and everything.

Good luck