PDA

View Full Version : gopher won't eat

eatinmachine
01-02-2005, 12:19 PM
I have a captive bred san diego gopher snake (very aggresive) that has only eaten once in a month. He ate two large pinkies (already have small fur) He is small and I offer food 2 times a week the guy I bought him from said he was feeding on f/t pinkies and could take a fuzzy but whenever I offer him foodhe will snap grab and constrict and then just slither away from it. I have tried live fuzzies he did the same thing.(I have tried braining) Any ideas.
Please help josh

gila7150
01-02-2005, 01:36 PM
I would try putting him in a small container (like a ventilated deli cup) with the prey item. Leave the snake alone for a couple hours in a quiet place. Sometimes hatchling snakes are nervous and eat better when they are in a small confined place where there is nothing to distract them from eating.
Good luck,
Chris

eatinmachine
01-02-2005, 05:51 PM
I have tried this in a lunch bag and in a container like a cottage cheese container.

freezeframeplus
01-12-2005, 11:38 PM
I'm new to this post (this is my first post). I have a yearling pacific gopher and she eats well. Have you tried wash your pinkie/ fuzzy with soap? I learned from other post that sometime by washing the food with safe soap will make the snake eat it. Good luck.

Priscilla Neergaard

John Cherry
01-13-2005, 02:04 PM
Last night when I was feeding a group of about 30 young pits ihad two that got defensive from all of the activity around the cage and stopped eating. One in fact had its fuzzy half way down and re-gurged it completely and then would have nothing to do with anything else offered. This type of thing does happen with pits and other snakes from time to time. Let me ask some questions: How do you have it caged, are you moving him prior to feeding, is there a lot of activity around the cage during feeding, what temp are you keeping him at.

John Cherry
Cherryville farms :scatter: