PDA

View Full Version : Shedding...what the hell.

Brooksi
01-04-2005, 12:58 AM
Ok, I know the shedding process takes a bit where the eyes cloud and such. My snake has lost the head area of the skin, and a bit behind the head. It has been about 4 or 5 days of these and the shedding hasnt moved on. I'm wondering if young snakes have the skin kinda flake off, and not in one peice. I am really anxious for it to come off to see the great new skin underneath. I mist him every now and then and hasnt seemed to do much, and he seems annoyed when I do, I dont want an aggitated snake. Any suggestions? Thanks

Wilomn
01-04-2005, 01:49 AM
Your snake has gotten too dry. You need to soak it. Any ventilated plastic container big enough for your snake to comfortably sit in overnight will work.

I use deli cups for my little guys. Fill the cup one third with water, add a folded half piece of paper towel, put the whole cup back in the cage so if the snake gets out of the cup it's in its cage, leave it overnight and in the morning your snake will either have already shed itself or you'll have a real easy time sliding the skin off.

A plastic hide with damp moss when the eyes go blue will help prevent this from occurring in the future.

Wilomn
01-04-2005, 01:53 AM
When I said deli cup I meant the 8 oz size. If you use anything larger don't use as much water. You don't want the snake to have to swim all night.

Brooksi
01-04-2005, 10:45 AM
Alright cool I understand that. Should I expect any hostility from my snake if i try to handle him while he is shedding??

Wilomn
01-04-2005, 11:03 AM
It's not unusual for a snake in the "blue", also known as getting ready to shed, to be somewhat irritable. If yours is it shouldn't last long, providing it is mellow most other times.

Post a pic when you're done.