PDA

View Full Version : Good times on the Riverwalk in San Antonio...

Mattcbiker
01-12-2005, 02:57 AM
Hey all ... I don't have any water snakes, although I did once keep a young baby I caught when I lived in Austin for a month before releasing her.

Well, I'm on vacation from Minnesota down here again in my old home of San Antonio. I was walking along the riverwalk and was looking at some of the neat mosquito fish and cichlids swimming around in a very busy area between restaraunts. Then I look down and there is a large water snake (36"), either a banded or brown perhaps, I really don't know Nerodia too well, but it was brown with wide, darker stripes and upturned reddish eyes.

She looked pretty fat and was just chillen off to the side of the sidewalk which borders the water. She paid no attention to us watching her. Most of the water snakes I had seen in Texas darted once I got close. However, she just chilled and watched us, so I slowly picked her up and she gingerly crawled out of my hands into some of the reeds nearby. I didn't want to stop her as I've heard nasty stories about the musk and bites of Nerodia. Admit it, they have a bad rep, but she was a doll.

It was about 80 degrees out, absolutely gorgeous day. I was hoping to see a snake down here, but I figured they'd be all snuggled up hibernating, as there has been a few cold fronts below freezing withing the last month alone, and average temps for today is 60/40. This really goes to show me how adaptable these animals' systems are, and I thought you guys and gals might enjoy my story as well.

I'll post a pic soon when I get home. Matt Carlson

cthulhu77
01-12-2005, 04:48 AM
That's cool...always nice to see a bit of reptile life in the dead of winter ! Look forward to the pics,
greg