PDA

View Full Version : Shipping Snakes via UPS

wcreptiles
02-03-2005, 09:18 AM
I’m basing this post on the assumption that UPS still does NOT knowingly ship harmless snakes for anyone, even good customers. I have been inquiring about the purchase of harmless snakes from several different sellers/breeders. This time of the year the shipping method is one of concern because of the temperature around the country. I have found that many breeders are shipping via UPS; this is not only a violation of company policy but also a violation of the Lacy Act if the package is not labeled correctly. These are sellers/breeders that have received glowing marks on the BOI. Most of the packages I receive are labeled wrong anyway and technically shouldn’t be accepted but at least shipping snakes through Delta is allowed.

Does UPS now allow the shipping of harmless snakes? Or do they just look the other way for their good high volume customers? If it’s against UPS policy to ship snakes I will take my business elsewhere, to a breeder/seller that ships on the up and up. I have inquired at UPS and have been told I would not ship snakes.

wcreptiles
02-03-2005, 09:28 AM
The last sentence should read:

I have inquired at UPS and have been told I could not ship snakes.

cka
02-03-2005, 10:08 AM
FEDEX is the only carrier I know of now that accepts live harmless snakes for shipping, but it has been nothing but a hastle to try to get certified...I can't get a local rep. to return my phone calls, and i also heard thru someone that they wont accept you if you are not a licensed business...As far as you not wanting to do business with the many folks who have shipped UPS and will continue to ship UPS (or any of the other Overnite services) well, that's your loss but your concern is justified...It's a hastle anyway you look at it :*/...

Attila
02-03-2005, 11:26 AM
I have used UPS exclusively since this past summer. Sent out some snakes via UPS a month or so ago and have never ever had a problem. Is this something new?

WJ Long

cka
02-03-2005, 11:46 AM
Per UPS terms of service...

Accepted / Prohibited Live Animals
Accepted Live Animals

This is a comprehensive list of live animals accepted for transportation. Shippers are prohibited from shipping any animal not listed here, and all other live animals will not be accepted for transportation. The following live animals are accepted for transportation unless poisonous, venomous, and/or a Threatened or Endangered Species.

* Amphibians (All): Examples: frogs, salamanders, toads
* Crustaceans (All): Examples: crabs, crawfish, lobsters, shrimp
* Fish (All)
* Insects (Limited to beneficial insects only): Examples: bees, butterflies, crickets, lady bugs
* Mollusks (All): Examples: clams, mussels, snails
* Reptiles (Limited to the following):
- Lizards: Examples: chameleons, geckos, iguanas, monitors, flying dragons
- Turtles: freshwater turtles (except: snapping turtles), land tortoises, sea turtles
* Worms (All)

Prohibited Live Animals

Live Animals that are prohibited from being shipped and are not accepted for transportation include, but are not limited to:

* Any poisonous, venomous or threatening animal
* Any Threatened or Endangered species
* Arachnids (All): Examples: mites, scorpions, spiders, ticks
* Birds (All)
* Crocodiles (All): Examples: alligators, caimans, gavials
* Mammals (All)
* Obnoxious Insects: Examples: flies, locusts, mosquitoes, roaches, termites, weevils
* Snakes (All): venomous and non-venomous

kinda funny, i cant ship you a harmless corn snake but i could ship you some zebra mollusks...just dont dump them into your local water system, ok? :*/

WebSlave
02-03-2005, 12:05 PM
I used to ship out my snakes via UPS. Did so for about a year. Had a local rep come out here to inspect the place and my shipping methods TWICE. Once he took photos of everything for documentation as well. Supposedly he cleared it on up the line and had everything set up. I asked my sales rep for an actual letter, but he never did come through with that. As was to be proven later, it was a mistake on my part not to pursue this more strongly and insist on getting a letter of approval.

Things were going just like clockwork and I didn't have a bit of problem. Boxes were marked properly, as per Lacey Act requirements, and I never heard a peep out of anyone.

Then one week in January (I believe) of last year, things all fell apart in a hurry. I had a couple of shipments to go out later on in the day, and the UPS driver showed up earlier in the day to drop off some packages. My wife mentioned to him that we had some shipments going out later in the day, just to remind him. Well she said he gave her a puzzled look and asked if anyone at UPS had called her. She said "No, why?" The UPS driver said that he got word down from corporate office to not pick up shipments of snakes here any longer. He was obviously embarrassed by all this and said that what he heard through the grape vine was that some snakes had escaped from one of our packages "up north" earlier in the week and terrorized one of the drivers. Well earlier in the week I had sent out three packages. I contacted each and every one of them to find out if anything "unusual" had happened with their deliveries. The only one that sounded suspicious was a package that went up into the Carolinas. At that time, they had an ice storm in the area and UPS was refusing to make any deliveries. So the customer himself had to drive to the UPS office in order to pick up his package. He said the package was undamaged and unopened, but he did get some static from one of the people behind the counter because the box was marked as having live harmless snakes in it. But other then that, nothing else was wrong. He had all of his snakes in the box and everything was OK as far as he could tell.

The other two packages arrived at their destinations uneventfully.

I have sent numerous emails and letters to UPS corporate office about this. I have had my attorney inquire to them about this incident. To date, they have never responded. Someone at UPS, quite bluntly, lied about this incident and as a result through me into a real loop when I could no longer ship my animals. I say it was a lie, because quite simply, if any of my snakes had escaped (and anyone ever receiving packages from me knows this is HIGHLY unlikely) then one of my customers either would not have gotten their shipment, or the shipment would have been short one or more animals. This is also EXTREMELY unlikely as no one was going to overlook there being 5 snakes instead of the 6 they had ordered and paid for.

UPS has refused to look into this matter and still tells me bluntly that they do not accept live snakes for shipments. Yet I know for a fact that I could get on the phone right now, this instant, and order snakes from several dealers and breeders, and they will be delivered to my door by UPS. Some even openly advertise the fact that they ship via UPS.

UPS, quite frankly, is engaging in a discriminatory practice that is damaging to some people in this business by providing a competitive advantage to some sellers of snakes over others. Yes, I could sue them, and yes I would probably win. After spending MANY thousands of dollars to do so. As my attorney told me, "Rich, do you really have enough damages to compensate for what you would get out of this?" Well, I'm not sure. Maybe if I didn't already have too much on my plate I would be very willing to find out. UPS needs to have their feet placed to the fire and either crap or get off the pot. If they are not going to accept snakes from me and you, then they should not be accepting it from Joe Blow and Jill Hill either. If they want the business, then get the business. If they don't then drop it all across the board, evenly and fairly.

Personally, I think a class action suit would be the ticket. That would spread the burden over a bunch of people and fire a shot across UPS's bow. Attorney's tend to make a LOT of money off of such broad based lawsuits, so perhaps someone could get one interested in taking this up. Quite frankly, I just don't have the steam to take this on myself. But you can bet I sure wish I could. It still burns me to even think about what they did to me.

So I guess, in a nutshell, what I am trying to tell you is that if you DO ship via UPS, they can drop you like a hot potato at any time with absolutely no notice. If it happened to me, it can certainly happen to you as well.

I have been using FedEx for about a year now, and except for the higher fees, have not had ANY problems at all using them. Matter of fact, whenever I order something from someone, I generally ask that they ship it to me via FedEx rather then UPS. It really rubs me the wrong way to give UPS any of my business in any fashion.

Tripple H Herps
02-03-2005, 05:55 PM
If it’s against UPS policy to ship snakes I will take my business elsewhere, to a breeder/seller that ships on the up and up.
- I think that almost 70% of all dealers ship there snakes via UPS or other shipping company that does not allow it. It is not a violation of the Lacey act unless they are not marked as such. All of my shipping is thru UPS. I have completly marked boxes and the driver knows whats in them. I have never had a problem.

I have been using FedEx for about a year now, and except for the higher fees, have not had ANY problems at all using them. Matter of fact, whenever I order something from someone, I generally ask that they ship it to me via FedEx rather then UPS. It really rubs me the wrong way to give UPS any of my business in any fashion.
Rich, I am going to agree with you on that. FEDEX is much better. However most of the time people are not willing to pay the higher costs & I would hate to absorb more in bills.

Peacemaker
02-03-2005, 11:40 PM
Hi All:
Just this week I was contacted by my UPS rep. telling me that I could no longer ship snakes through UPS due to a policy change as of Jan. 1,2005 that they are now listed in their book as against policy to ship. I too ship a lot of snakes and have been for 6 years now and have only used UPS, Not only that I have a Acrylic Display and Cage business that has been shipping through my UPS account as well, but not any more. I am now also in the process of setting up a FedEx accout, and agree with Rich, I will do my best to not ship anything at all through UPS or DHL as they told me they would not accept snakes either. When I set up my account it was to ship snakes and was told by my rep. that I was verified to ship, but it looks like now that it was just a ploy by the rep. to get my business and she was willing to overlook the snakes even thought they say now that they have never accepted snakes in shipping.

WebSlave
02-04-2005, 02:08 AM
Rich, I am going to agree with you on that. FEDEX is much better. However most of the time people are not willing to pay the higher costs & I would hate to absorb more in bills.

I think there are very little choices with this situation. I just got my latest FedEx bill and NONE of them were below $50. I had to go to my website and raise my shipping to $60. And that still doesn't cover all of my expenses to get a box out the door. At one time I was able to pad the shipping charge so I would have a slush fund to pay for any losses incurred in a shipment. Not any longer. I'm doing the shipping thing as a dead loss any more. That really is not a workable business model for long term survival in business. :(

DragonCharm
02-04-2005, 01:18 PM
Just got billed for my first shipment since the rate hike. Surprisingly only $26.43 from CT to OH.....not much change from before.

DragonCharm
02-04-2005, 01:19 PM
Just got billed for my first shipment since the rate hike. Surprisingly only $26.43 from CT to OH.....not much change from before.
Fedex

DragonCharm
02-04-2005, 01:23 PM
Also, what does a violation of the Lacey Act entail legally should someone discretely ship snakes?

geckosunlimited
02-04-2005, 02:12 PM
It costs me $45-55 to ship a 15" x 11" x 7" box now that UPS uses dimensional weight for air packages. The packages are usually around 2 lbs, but they are charging 6 lbs. I'm surprised that more people are not talking about this. This is absolutely devastating. Well, at least I can ship geckos. I do feel for the snake breeders. You guys are really getting the shaft. Why? DISCRIMINATION!! Period!

Rich, are you using FedEx exclusively now?

The days of shipping herps are numbered...

Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
02-04-2005, 04:48 PM
Rich~
I'm sure you've thought of this~ but in case you haven't and for anyone else with higher shipping costs~

Call you local Fed-Ex rep and ask what kind of discounts he/she can get you. My rep hooked me up with a "Volume discount pricing agreement" that saves me 36% on all overnight services. I've shipped all of maybe 3 or 4 boxes in the last year~ but my rep was kind enough to hook me up.

Can't hurt to ask~ and a discount is always nice.

Mike Greathouse
02-04-2005, 05:22 PM
Fed-Ex is looking really good about now.

I just tallied up my shipments for January with the Dimensional Weight charges. In 7 shipments, UPS tacked on an additional $185.00. I had been charging a flat rate of $40.00 for shipping. My actual shipping charges were usually very close to this. With the Dimensional Weight Billing Adjustments - my average cost per package ended up being close to $65.00.

Now I use a little larger box then many of you - 12 x 12 x 10 - I'll not sacrifice my standard of shipping to save a couple of dollars, but this is crazy. I think the thing that bothers me the most is that I have been a UPS customer for a very long time and this all came without any notice at all. I didn't realize that they had modified their Dimensional Weight policy until it appeared as an adjustment on my bill. Pretty poor business practice.

I feel like I've been dragged through the "Brown". Farewell UPS....

ChaosCat
02-04-2005, 07:32 PM
Rich, airborne did the same exact thing to me. A rep from their offices called and told me they wanted to be my shipper. When I explained to him that I shipped live reptiles, he spoke to his "supervisor" who said it was ok.

Everything went fine until one delivery never made it to its destination. The customer called airborne and was told several different stories, ranging from "there is no package going to that address" to "we don't ship snakes".

The next day, she contacted her local office and they told her I had sent a "duct-taped shoebox with holes." and that they "couldn't deliver boxes like that."

Needless to say, when she finally got her snake, it was just fine, the snake was in a taped deli-cup, and packaged in a propak shipping box with a heatpack.

These shipping companies are ridiculous. They hire people who don't seem to care about the packages they deliver. I've had more than one box show up here damaged, a few damaged beyond repair (which were not live animals, thankfully!) and been told there's nothing I can do.

geckosunlimited
02-04-2005, 09:17 PM
"I feel like I've been dragged through the "Brown"."

LOL! No kidding.

Tripple H Herps
02-04-2005, 09:50 PM
I feel like I've been dragged through the "Brown".
LOL! Thats the best one ive heard yet. I will contact FEDEX and see what they can do. The shippers in my area (new location) are not exactly freindly guys. That counts for all of them. Only some of the drivers I got to know, are really any good.
Thanks, Jim

ChaosCat
02-05-2005, 02:58 PM
My regular UPS driver is a friendly guy. He doesn't mind handling my boxes that say "live reptiles" or "live animal" on them.

Tripple H Herps
02-05-2005, 03:41 PM
My regular UPS driver is a friendly guy. He doesn't mind handling my boxes that say "live reptiles" or "live animal" on them.
-I think it would be alright to conclude that MOST (not all) UPS drivers are typically not to bad with shipping Live reptiles. I think it is mainly the reps, and people that are positioned at a drop off station.

DavidButton
02-08-2005, 09:46 AM
Well all this grief with UPS and FedEx just points me to the fact of why I am becoming a Delta Dash Known Shipper. It may be a pain for some people to go and pick up their snake at the airport, but at least they do openly accept snakes and their knowing snakes are in the boxes I send is well worth the little bit extra it may cost. I have their latest shipping rates for "live cold blooded reptiles" and the cost is really not that much as compared to the latest rate hikes of the other major shippers.
And for you people who are mad about UPS and FedEx raising their prices without letting you know, you must have missed the part of their contract that says "rates subject to change without notice".
As for UPS or FedEx accepting snakes, I have spoken to so many reps that my ear hurts from all the NO's that I have gotten over the last couple of months. Yes you can become a certified Fedex shipper, but they won't insure the contents of the package if it is a snake and they will not or cannot guarantee specific delivery times, or so says the reps I spoke to. And as I have ehard from many people here who were so excited that they could do this with Fedex, it is so much of a pain in the ass that it is almost not worth it in the end. As for UPS, I agree with WCreptiles about it being wrong that people are shipping snakes through them and I have spoken to several reps and asked how other reptile breeders are shipping snakes and they won't allow me to do so and he plainly said that they were breaking company policy by doing this and if caught the packages would be confiscated. So in the end I am only going to be shipping through Delta Dash until something else better comes along and if someone wants a snake and doesn't want to pay the little bit extra to make sure that it is safely and properly shipped then they were probably not the type of owner I would want my snakes to go to anyway.

David

geckosunlimited
02-08-2005, 01:26 PM
"And for you people who are mad about UPS and FedEx raising their prices without letting you know, you must have missed the part of their contract that says "rates subject to change without notice"."

Uh, I think that a 40-70% increase in price (actual to dim. weight) is absolutely insane! I've had a daily account with UPS for years, and their prices have only gone up about 2-3% a year. With this absurd hike, I expect a UPS representative to take me out to dinner, liquor me up, and then break the news to me gently (maybe after a nice massage).

DavidButton
02-09-2005, 08:51 PM
Well I inquired with UPS again today to find out why I keep seeing adds for snakes "shipped UPS overnight". This is what I got in reply. My original message is at the bottom. Do pay close attention to the 3rd paragraph where they state what will happen if a package with a prohibited item is found. And after reading this I wonder if they will ever accept snakes again if people keep shipping them against their rules. It only takes one dumbass who thinks he is too slick to get caught to ruin any future chances we could have at ever shipping snakes with UPS again.
So wise up you cheap asses and get with the program. Shipping snakes via UPS is PROHIBITED and you are going to give us all a bad reputation.

Here is the e-mail they sent me:

Dear David Button:

Thank you for your inquiry. Effective January 1, 2005, UPS will accept live animals for U.S. domestic transportation between the 48 contiguous states on a limited basis. This service is not offered to/from Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico or internationally.

Packages containing live animals must be prepared in accordance with specific packaging requirements. Packages containing live animals must provide for the basic humane care and safety of the animal during transportation. Any package containing a live animal shall be considered a perishable commodity and will be accepted for transportation solely at the shipper’s risk for any damage or loss arising from the perishable nature of the item. UPS shall not be liable for any special, incidental, or consequential damages.

In the event a package containing a prohibited item is found in transit, that package will be stopped at the UPS facility where discovered. UPS reserves the right to appropriately dispose of the contents of the package.

Endangered or Threatened Species

In addition to the enclosed list, any live animal that is an Endangered Species is prohibited by UPS and will not be accepted for transportation.
Shippers must refer to the list posted on the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Web site at:

http://endangered.fws.gov/wildlife.html#Species

Also, the Endangered and Threatened Wildlife and Plants 50 CFR 17.11 and 17.12, December 1999 at:

http://endangered.fws.gov/50cfr_animals.pdf

Service Type

Live animals will only be accepted for transportation when shipped via UPS Next Day Air service, and such shipments will only be accepted Monday through Thursday.

Packaging

Design and Construction of the Primary Container: All live animals offered for transportation must be in a new box. Corrugated boxes must be constructed of a minimum of 275 # bursting strength corrugated or 44 edge crush test. It is recommended that any package containing animals requiring moisture during transportation be constructed of water-resistant material such as wax coated, wax impregnated, or plastic corrugated.
Minimal ventilation holes should be provided as necessary.

Internal Packaging and Other Considerations: Internal packaging materials must be used based on the characteristics of the animal, taking into consideration the necessary humane care for the animal while in transportation. Lizards and geckos should be individually contained in bags constructed of breathable material, such as burlap. Insects should be contained in individual primary containers such as plastic jars with ventilation. Fish must be double bagged in strong plastic bags with a minimum thickness of 4 mils. Each primary bag should be approximately one third full of water with the remainder filled with oxygen.

Additional Considerations: Additional components such as food, moisture, and temperature controls should be added as necessary to provide a safe environment during transportation. Additional cushioning should be added to prevent movement of the primary containers or receptacles within the outer box.

Accepted Live Animals

This is a comprehensive list of live animals accepted for transportation.
Shippers are prohibited from shipping any animal not listed here. The following live animals are accepted for transportation unless poisonous, venomous, and/or a Threatened or Endangered Species:

Amphibians (All): e.g., frogs, salamanders, toads Crustaceans (All): e.g., crabs, lobsters, shrimp Fish (All) Insects (Limited to beneficial insects only): e.g., bees, butterflies, lady bugs Mollusks (All): e.g., clams, mussels, snails Reptiles (Limited to the following):
Lizards: e.g., chameleons, geckos, iguanas, monitors
Turtles: freshwater turtles (except: snapping turtles), land tortoises, sea turtles Worms (All)

Please note that any animal not specifically listed on the accepted list above is prohibited by UPS and will not be accepted for transportation.

Prohibited Live Animals

Live animals that are prohibited from being shipped and are not accepted
for transportation include, but are not limited to:

Any poisonous, venomous, or threatening animal
Any Threatened or Endangered Species
Arachnids: mites, scorpions, spiders, ticks
Birds
Crocodiles: alligators, caimans, crocodiles, gavials
Obnoxious Insects: flies, locusts, mosquitoes, termites, weevils
Mammals
Snakes (All): venomous or non-venomous

We hope this information is helpful. If we may be of further assistance,
please feel free to contact us.

Thank you for using UPS Internet Services.

Selena

> -----Original Message-----
> From: "mozilla@ups.com" <david@thealbinoboa.com>
> Sent: Feb 9, 2005 2:11:52 PM MST
> To: customer.service@ups.com
>
> Who:Shipper
> Name:David Button
> Email:david@thealbinoboa.com
> Phone:210-545-7249
> TrackingNumber:
> Address1:4103 Knollpass
> City:San Antonio
> State:Texas
> PostalCode:78247
> Country:usa
> Comments: I am a snake breeder and am wondering why I keep seeing people advertising that they will ship a snake overnight to my door via UPS and on your site it says NO SNAKES. Is this special treatment they are getting due to volume, or are they shipping it under a lie?
> I have spoken to several of your reps because I wanted to use your company to ship my snakes and I just don't understand how these other people are doing it.
> Here is one of the adds I have seen:
>
> " I am asking $1,250 shipped for the pair, shipping is UPS overnight in an insulated box with heat packs. Let me know if you have any questions.” >
>
>
> Any ideas on this?

Tripple H Herps
02-09-2005, 09:19 PM
So wise up you cheap asses and get with the program.
- Your talking crap to allot of VERY well established people, you do know that right? Anyways, I am not a cheap ass, as you so blatantly put it. The economy is in a slump, and believe me I can feel it. I have no plans to pay more in shipping and then LOSE out in money on my BUSINESS! Your obviously a hobbyist and you do not understand what it means to have to pay more expenses then you can handle with less money coming in then you can handle do you?? I know one thing that is does mean, BANKRUPTCY. The only other choice I have is FedEx, now like I said I am not ready to spend that money. If I charge higher shipping, allot of people will not buy. So I am stuck with two losses, either loose on shipping or loose on sales. I have been in contact with my FedEx rep. I am trying to get lower prices but the future doesn’t seem that bright on it.

DavidButton
02-09-2005, 11:45 PM
I was nto "Talking crap" to anyone who uses FedEx at all. What I said was that shipping snakes via UPS was against their policy and they have plainly said that over and over. ANd yes I am a hobbyist at this time, but 25 years ago I wasn't so I understand the money in, money out very well. In fact I well understand the money end probalby better now than I did back then because I have a family and my snakes take alot of money and are not making much at this time.
But the fact still remains that UPS says that they WILL NOT ship snakes, and people are doing it anyway. And yes there are some well established people in this business who are doing so, but that doesn't make it right does it?
Fedex obviously sees this market and knows that they are it besides Delta dash so they are leaning on the rates. That is wrong, but there is really nothing that can be done about that.
I am sorry if I have offended anybody, but if people keep going against UPS policy and shipping prohibited items there will never be a chance to change their minds about their policies.

David

DavidButton
02-10-2005, 12:22 AM
Oh yes, one more thing. I do run my own business as well as the snakes. I own a small computer company www.buttoncomputers.com and service the San Antonio area. And right now I too feel the economy crunch. Since this last holiday season was such a money sucker for everyone I know it has been dead in mine and several friends businesses. And I have a wife breathing down my neck wanting to know why there isn't as much money coming in now. So don't think that you are all alone out there.

David

Tripple H Herps
02-10-2005, 07:49 AM
And right now I too feel the economy crunch. Since this last holiday season was such a money sucker for everyone I know it has been dead in mine and several friends businesses. And I have a wife breathing down my neck wanting to know why there isn't as much money coming in now. So don't think that you are all alone out there.
- Don't worry, I know that I am not alone. Otherwise people would be purchassing. Which means when I have less sales other people have less sales.

I am sorry if I have offended anybody
- The reason I posted so sharply was that with the lack of money and you calling me a cheap a*s...... I couldn't resist.....

DavidButton
02-10-2005, 09:38 AM
LOL ok, in your case I will change that from cheap ass to SMART ASS. :crazy03:
I was really just trying to get people attention drawn to this problem and maybe raise their dander a bit in the process so that they could see that this is a real problem that needs to be faced. In the end it is really the buyer that is going to have to face the facts that if you want a quality animal you are going to have to spend X amount of money on shipping or drag your butt to one of the major shows. Either way I don't really care who you ship with, it is going to be expensive and is getting more so every passing year. So sales may drop for a short time while the consumers grapple with the new shipping prices, but in the end they still want those snakes and will just have to adjust their money a bit to get them.

David

Tripple H Herps
02-10-2005, 01:57 PM
LOL ok, in your case I will change that from cheap ass to SMART ASS.
-I get that often.....lol Even by my good and returning customers.

allthatslithers
02-11-2005, 04:06 PM
So you go around snitching on people to UPS?
That'll help everything I'm sure...

This is a total dilemma for us. I think many people are simply unaware.
Most of the shippers I have used at various times didn't seem to even know their own rules on shipping live reptiles. Ones that were legal,you had to argue with because some assistant manager somewhere thought otherwise.
What a joke. Fedex....our only option left? Frightening.
DHL--terrible. Have never NOT had a problem with recieving packages from them. Besides it is against their rules. Now ups is gone. Airborne,riiight... they sent me back a package of harmless turtles when it WAS legal policy.Delta Dash..great..but...who wants to pay for it?
Any bored millionaires out there who have nothing better to do..a private sector reptile courier company would be great right about now.
Not very promising for the herp hobbyists/breeders.
And as far as allowing some/not others. Noone has said anything to me,I wasn't aware of the changes. UPS has said nothing. I guess it depends on their mood on any given day.

Amber/Chuck

DavidButton
02-11-2005, 06:18 PM
Snitching on people to UPS? I don't think so!
I was trying to figure out why some people seem to be able to ship with them and I kept getting a resounding NO! when ever I talked to anyone from UPS.
And if you go to their site and you can plainly see that some reptiles are allowed, but not snakes. Ignorance of the rules is not an excuse. Would you tell the cop that pulls you over for speeding that you didn't understand what it meant by "speed limit" ?
The bottom line is that UPS says no to snake shipping and it is in their shipping guide lines, but it is up to you to read them.
This part right here should be enough to make people think twice before using them anyhow
" In the event a package containing a prohibited item is found in transit, that package will be stopped at the UPS facility where discovered. UPS reserves the right to appropriately dispose of the contents of the package. "

So what would be the point in risking an animals life over a $20 difference in price?

So in the end you can still ship via ups if you want. They are not out looking for snake shippers to catch or anything like that. ANd I am sure that people probably have shipments going through them right now as I type this.
It is only prohibited if you get caught right?

David

DavidButton
02-11-2005, 06:26 PM
ANd one more thing. Here you are hacking on me for pointing out that it is prohibited to ship snake via UPS because it is prohibited and over here in this post on the BOI
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63961

Everyone is appaled that this guy shipped via the USPS where it is prohibited too.
So what is you point to giving me grief anyways? Is it just that you are mad that you can't ship cheaply or are you thinking that I sent in your name to UPS and they are watching you now?
All I stated here in this post was the truth. If the truth hurts you I am sorry.

David

Bill_Leverton
02-13-2005, 07:40 AM
I truly do understand everyone's "Concern" I'm just starting out in Boa Breeding to supplement my income, and Ive been up and down every road with Ups, Airborne(Dhl), Fedex, And got a zillion stories about how one day they do accept Live reptiles, the next they dont, I was even told "What the company doesnt know wont hurt them" so dont mark the box "Live Animals" Ok so you dont mark the box and you put Fragile instead 4 out 10 times you end up with a dead snake because it will wind up in a unpressured cargo hold and you end up with a deflated "snake" Dead of course or when the driver brings it he/she is flipping the box around like a ball now your giving the reptile within more stress Which brings me to this one nagging question. On another "thread" it was brought up that there was approx 14000+ members, out all these people doesnt anyone of them work for any of these "shipping Companies" that can give us any insight ???? :firedevil at the rate this is going. We are going to become no better then the scammers this site was founded on stopping .....All above is just my opinion :no_evil01

WebSlave
02-13-2005, 11:51 AM
.... Which brings me to this one nagging question. On another "thread" it was brought up that there was approx 14000+ members, out all these people doesnt anyone of them work for any of these "shipping Companies" that can give us any insight ????

I think an even better question would be that with almost 17,000 members here, not one is an attorney who could help us with this problem? A problem of this type requires professional help. Help from the angle of leverage via legal rights instead of pleading on bended knee to UPS.

Bear in mind that UPS may not take much of an interest if we just tell them what business they could gain by taking on our new business. But they certainly may perk up an ear if they learn that they certainly could lose some locally quite large accounts they now have by continuing to engage in this blatantly discriminatory manner.

But this has all been approached before and got nowhere. So until everyone just accepts the fact that we have to just grasp the nettle and yank it out of the ground, nothing will ever be done about it.

eandjreptiles
04-25-2005, 11:57 AM
I just got off the phone with my rep. It is a new account. I asked them specifically if I could ship snakes with them and the only hesitation I got was "venomous?". Of course they arent and I am now certified to send reptiles of many kinds with them. I think of all the shipping companies that I have dealt with, UPS is the easiest to become certified through.

WebSlave
04-25-2005, 12:37 PM
I just got off the phone with my rep. It is a new account. I asked them specifically if I could ship snakes with them and the only hesitation I got was "venomous?". Of course they arent and I am now certified to send reptiles of many kinds with them. I think of all the shipping companies that I have dealt with, UPS is the easiest to become certified through.

I suggest that you get it in writing. If your rep will not do that, then it is NOT official. If something happens, it will be YOUR word against your rep's word, I can guarantee you I know who will win.

CJBianco
04-25-2005, 01:19 PM
I suggest that you get it in writing. If your rep will not do that, then it is NOT official. If something happens, it will be YOUR word against your rep's word, I can guarantee you I know who will win.

Great advice. Things are always safer in writing. =/

Chris

DavidButton
04-25-2005, 01:52 PM
I would truely get it in writing before I sent anything. Their company site say no snakes and I believe that they mean it. I am sure, since I still se people advertising snakes "delivered to your door via UPS", that there are snakes still being sent this way and they all claim to have "Permission" or "certification" from UPS to do so. But one reps word would not be what I called permission. Salesman will tell you anything and that is exactly what those reps are.

David

psilocybe
04-25-2005, 04:36 PM
I recieved a pair of baby Solomon island ground boas about a month ago, shipped through UPS...the package was VERY clearly labeled (can't remember if it said "Live harmless reptiles" or "Live harmless snakes" though, probably reptiles), and I got it just fine. I normally got animals through FedEx, but I've had a couple of UPS deliveries and they went okay...I don't sell snakes, just buy them, so this is purely from the standpoint of a consumer.

HerpLuver
05-09-2005, 10:51 PM
He was obviously embarrassed by all this and said that what he heard through the grape vine was that some snakes had escaped from one of our packages "up north" earlier in the week and terrorized one of the drivers.

Up north, from FL, Hmm, would Jersey count? I think so, sorry for bringing up an old topic. But i can almost guarantee that was a snake shipped to MY house, a normal burm het albino, he got loose in the UPS truck and it turned into a MAJOR fiasco that had the newspapers across the country prying for the story. I had 2 new's channel's at my house, Channel 10 and Channel 40. Let's see....
Here's one of the articles, they made me sound like a skater punk

http://www.nbc10.com/news/2455421/detail.html

Tom McKenna
06-11-2005, 08:10 AM
UPS does ship snakes I just got a account with them yesterday. You just have to follow some guidelines.

reptilebreeder
06-11-2005, 08:01 PM
UPS does ship snakes I just got a account with them yesterday. You just have to follow some guidelines.Do you have a link to their guidelines or an official written policy? Because as far as I know, their written policy, at least in the past, was no snakes. I certainly wouldn't risk the consequences of shipping snakes via UPS if it is only on the word of your account rep.

WebSlave
06-11-2005, 08:21 PM
Yes, unless it is in WRITING from UPS, don't count on it. They can pull the rug right out from under you with no warning whatsoever. Any agreement to ship live snakes has to be from their corporate offices and not just an agreement, verbal or otherwise, from a local office. If corporate tells them to drop your account, you are gone, regardless of what the local people want.

Tom McKenna
06-12-2005, 09:58 AM
I have a written agreement I will try and get scanned in today and post if not today I will this week for sure. They finally got the idea we need shipping avenues