PDA

View Full Version : A VERY SCARY hot bite treatment in the EXTREME

old guy
02-13-2005, 03:00 PM
and procedure. I would think ( because of knowing such a person that went through this and was told years later they probably didn't need this done after losing 1/3 of his wrist ), it is one of the treatments that makes keeping venomous dangerous. I am not a medical doctor of any kind but..........what do you all think ?

http://www.freewebs.com/rattlesnakebite/index.htm

The Reptile House
02-13-2005, 03:34 PM
WOW!!! Now that's something. I'm glad he is ok today! Shanell.

FreakOfNature66
02-13-2005, 04:55 PM
I feel sorry for having a kid that young go through that. It must hav ebeen horrible. Hope he doesnt hate snakes for life.

reptilebreeder
02-13-2005, 07:30 PM
Not sure what you mean by hot treatment in the extreme. That the procedure was unnecessary? Not sure about the person you know where they said the procedure was not necessary, but a fascietomy sp? is done to relieve compartment syndrome. Compartment syndrome is when the pressure builds up so high that it can cause permenent tissue and muscle damage if the pressure is not relieved. As we know venom can cause serious tissue damage and loss, as can compartment syndrome that is untreated.
The person you know who had the procedure, they said it probably didn't need done and that he lost a third of his wrist? The procedure itself should only cause minimal damage, if any, and if they truly had compartment syndrome a lot of tissue and muscle was probably saved. It's hard to second guess whether the damage was all from venom, or if there would have been no additional damage had the pressure not been taken care of. Also not sure if he had the same procedure, I'm not a Doctor, but the wrist area doesn't seem to be a place where compartment syndrome would be a problem, so I would think that was damage from the bite.

On a side note; it's doubtful this victim in the linked story was bitten by a Western Diamondback, based on his statement of where he was, when the bite occured. It was probably a Northern Pacific Rattlesnake Crotalus viridus oreganus

jsrocket
02-20-2005, 03:14 PM
It is really impossible to "Monday morning quarterback" the treatment. This was a complex case, way out of the league of layperson analysis.

Interestingly, I show this website to friends of mine who think it would be "cool" to have a venomous snake, as a stark reminder of the reality of the situation. My God, look at the pics!

Every once in a while, I go look at them myself. Keeps me from getting "sloppy"

I think it's a great site

Ritchie

Gregg M
02-21-2005, 02:00 PM
These days, there are other ways of treating compartment syndrome without having to split your limb like a banana...... That is a very last and extream resort...... If I am ever bitten, I will not allow a doctor to slice me open like that..... Like I said, there are other way to relieve compartment syndrome....

psilocybe
02-21-2005, 02:42 PM
In most cases, fasciotomies are NOT neccesary and the wrong thing to do. Snakebite can mimic compartment syndrome, but is not "true" compartment syndrome. Quick administration of antivenin neutralizes swelling and pressure buildup in most cases. Most doctors are not experienced in treating even native snake bites, and when they see something that looks like compartment syndrome, they rush for the fasciotomy. Personally, I would walk myself right out of the hospital if they tried to cut me open.

Please read and give this paper to your hospital or doctor, ESPECIALLY if you are keeping or working with venomous snakes!

http://www2.us.elsevierhealth.com/scripts/om.dll/serve?action=get-media&id=as019606440400280x&trueID=pdf_s019606440400280x&location=jem04442&type=pdf&name=x.pdf

jsrocket
02-21-2005, 08:22 PM
OK, after reading the link you put up, as well as some of the references cited therein, I see what you're talking about. Fasciotomies these days (FOR ENVENOMATION) would seem to be indicated only under very specific conditions, certainly not prophylactically.

However, there hasn't been a great deal of data collected, from what I saw, and much of it was from studies on the rear limbs of dogs and rabbits.

I agree though. I would certainly make a Dr. explain his reasons for wanting to do it. If it was just because "I had been bitten by a rattlesnake", I might become a little less than cordial with him/her, and request someone who knew what the hell they were doing!

That always gets their attention.

PSILO Thanks for the info Ritchie