PDA

View Full Version : Hibernating Milks in the South?

ecmorrell
02-16-2005, 11:12 PM
I'm buying some hatchling Milks to breed in a year or two- but the hibernating is going to be tricky. Winters here vary from 30 one day to 70 the next. (I was wearing a t-shirt today; tomorrow it will be 30.) How to hibernate these snakes? Has anyone had sucess breeding Milks without hibernating?

Thanks!

starwarsdad
02-17-2005, 08:30 AM
You might try a dark closet on an exterior wall??? I have heard of success doing that with other colubrids.

old guy
02-17-2005, 03:07 PM
luck with just a darkened photo period. In fact some of the most famous has advised this oppose to big temp drops when one couldn't get that effect. I for one, have done it with great success. There were years where i couldn't/wouldn't put my reptiles down in temps because of the keeping of multiple species from different country and zones. Many people have said the same thing that I'm going to say, what works for you or one, may not work for others. I bred for at least 10 years with the average winter temp only in the low 70ties and had no detrimental ill effects on my species or breeding of over 200 snakes.

mike chambers

ecmorrell
02-17-2005, 04:38 PM
That's good to know. Thanks!