PDA

View Full Version : Sand Boa Breeding.... help needed

Biscuit71
02-23-2005, 09:52 PM
Starting about a month month and a half ago, i have seen my male ALL over my female... basically cruising over her body, and inching his tail up her side and under her... and strangely enough, i saw him "tickling" her with his spurs.... what i want to know is, she is SO much larger than him... is it possible that he was able to actually mate her? Try as i like, they are in ASpen shavings, so i couldnt keep an eye on them at all times, and my work schedule doesnt agree either... but i have noticed that the activity has come to a total stand-still. Just in case, and pointers as far as temps? I have the hot end at 90-92F (read that is the right temp for gravid females)

Any and all assistance would be greatly appreciated. I can post pics of her if needed...

Sean Ford

Karen Hulvey
02-24-2005, 12:05 AM
My males are all smaller than my females. Yes, it's possible for a smaller male to mate w/females. You want your female to be a little plump because she is going to expend a lot of energy to make the babies.

What you described is classic mating activity. Did you actually see them mate? Mine hold their tails out of the shavings. It's kinda weird seeing two tails entwined and no bodies in sight.

Wilomn
02-24-2005, 12:20 AM
I keep mine in sand and my male is maybe 1/3 the size of the girls, probably closer to 1/4. He's been a little horndog the last few weeks.

The sand is cool because you can tell how much activity there has been in the cage. When they've been frolicking it's completely dishevelled.

Good luck.

Biscuit71
02-24-2005, 07:22 AM
I never actually saw them mate because I am only home every other day... i work 24 hour shifts, so what was happening while I was at work is totally unknown to me... How about the temps? is 90-92 a good temp for her on the hot spot?

Wilomn
02-24-2005, 11:51 AM
It should be but I keep mine in about 4 inches of sand and on the top of the sand, right under the heatlight, it gets to about 98. I see the females basking thier tail ends there frequently and that was where I saw the most activity from the males. Down under the sand it's quite a bit cooler so they can regulate themselves.

Biscuit71
02-24-2005, 01:59 PM
I use an undertank heater... i took the temp reading under the substrate as that is where she spends most of her time... i have noticed she is spending almost all of her time right over the heat.... maybe its a good sign