PDA

View Full Version : Human heating pads

Kallisto
03-02-2005, 06:12 PM
Are they a better alternative to the heating pads made specifically for reptiles? My ball python has suffered from thermal burns from a reptile under tank heating pad. Are pads for humans cooler? Also, does anyone have an infrared heating module? I am considering purchasing one, but I have not seen any comments about them...thanks for any input. Here is a link to the infrared modules I was looking at: http://www.infraredheaters.com/panels.htm

DAND
03-02-2005, 07:19 PM
You should use a thermostat for the flex watt and most UTH since the have tendencies to run too hot with out one.

Chris_Harper2
03-03-2005, 01:29 PM
The infared heating module you pictured is what is called a Radiant Heat Panel in the herp world. My best guess is that it's an Enerjoy panel, the same as those sold by The Bean Farm.

ProProduts and Helix both make RHP's specifically for the use inside of herp cages. You can probably find 100 positive comments for either of them vs. the Enerjoys which are relatively uknown in this industry.

Provided your ball python is not in a rack I would recommend an e-mail to Bob at ProProducts to see what size of panel best fits your needs. Great guy, great company.

Bob's e-mail is:

promist@bestweb.net

You might be able to control your heat pad with a dimmer for now. But keep in mind that dimming it down to a temperature that prevents thermal burns to your animals may mean the rest of the cage is too cold. It really depends on your setup and how cold the room is where the cage is.

EclipseExotics
02-17-2006, 01:42 AM
I use the human pads as UTH because they have an adjustable built in thermostat, I've been using them for years with no thermal burns or anything. There might be someone who has had problems, but I haven't. I have them hooked up to an automatic shutoff if they reach over a certain temperature, they've never needed it though, they seem to stay an even temperature.

FamilyZoo
02-17-2006, 06:09 PM
We use temperature controllers on all our enclosures, at least that way I don't have to worry about over heating. (we still check temps manually twice a day to verify everything is working correctly)

Digby Rigby
02-26-2006, 04:43 PM
Hello step right up and check out the Human Heat pad. Also check out the snakeperson and the Lizard person!. Okay now human heating pads are not acceptible for use as reptile heaters. As you know appliances should not be used outside of their intended purpose. It is dangerous. They were not designed for continuous use in enclosed areas. You need to use components that were designed and made with materials that are able to withstand the demands placed upon them. There are many other safer alternatives. For someone to say they have used them for years without any incident is the same as saying they have had unprotected sex with strangers for years without getting diseases or pregnant. You could do it but why risk it? There is no good reason to use heating pads designed for humans as a continual heat source for reptiles in a way and in an environment they were not designed for.

Digby Rigby
DigbyRigby@exoticfeeders.com

liquidleaf
02-27-2006, 11:36 PM
Well, I'd have to agree that while you shouldn't use human heat pads as a primary heat source, I do use them when extra heat is needed since it can get very cold in my house, and you don't need to permanently adhere a human heat pad to anything to use it (ONLY when used in conjunction to a thermostat, since as Digby says, putting them behind or under a cage is not what they were designed for). I would NEVER trust any built-in temp control on a human heat pad. So, I'd guess you might say use them *at your own risk*, much like the way some people adapt pipe-heating cable for use heating cages.

Also of note: Nowadays, reptile-specific UTH heaters are NOT that expensive. You can get a 17x11 inch UTH for about $18 from various online retailers, not a lot of dough!