PDA

View Full Version : Cane toad and fire bellies

lyndz915
03-14-2005, 05:35 PM
I wanted to know if I can keep my cane toad in with my fire bellied toads. I know they are box toxic, but are they toxic to each other?

mercedesherp
03-14-2005, 06:03 PM
No!!!!!!!!

Big Nasty
03-17-2005, 04:17 AM
The fire-bellys require more moisture than the cane toad. Yes , they both give off toxins but are completely different.

I would get a 10-20 gallon tank to house them separately for now.

Cane toads are very aggressive for amphibians, they will eat anything that will fit into their mouth. (those fire-bellies are bite size for it!)

Better safe than sorry

demoniendin
03-17-2005, 07:57 PM
i dont see what you guys find interresting about cane toads. They are quite the nuisance EVERYWHERE. I see them outside when it rains (like it is right now) in Miami, Florida. Anyways, I guess some people are just into that.

Karen Hulvey
03-17-2005, 08:46 PM
Andrew:
Exactly what are people into if they like the cane toad? Because you don't like an animal and consider it a nuisance then others should too?

Rockford
03-19-2005, 04:04 AM
Maybe they like to lick them? And they need to keep one around whenever they feel the urge to.

What is one man's garbage is another man's treasure! BTW-I didn't make that up..it's an old saying..lol

Bthacker

demoniendin
03-20-2005, 10:38 AM
I wasnt looking for criticism, I was just asking what is so appealing about them, maybe your opinions would brighten my outlook on the species and I might catch one and keep it as my own.

Rockford
03-20-2005, 01:02 PM
I wasnt looking for criticism, I was just asking what is so appealing about them, maybe your opinions would brighten my outlook on the species and I might catch one and keep it as my own.

Hi Andrew-

I just think it was the way you worded it "you guys".......No worries on my end....I thought people just like them for their hallucinogenic properties. Don't go lickin' any Cane toads now. :cool:

Bthacker

telula2
02-22-2006, 10:03 AM
I am a nature educator. I am well aware of the cane toad epidemic. Blame it on humans. I work with children, usually bored, ecophobic snots that could't care less about nature. I want to use the canes to grab their attention. I think a big fat toad squeezing through my fingers is more interesting that a picture or just blabbing about it. I would, of course, use the toad as a lesson on introduced species, how these efforts are abysmal failures if taken lightly or not studied properly before being executed. I would talk about the toxins and what they are for, why they are dangerous and also that most animals have some form of chemical warfare going on. I would not allow the children to touch them and I would definately NOT release them into the wild so they could eat up all the native wildlife. Canes are interesting to those of us who don't have to step over them or worry about them poisoning our dogs or eating our new kitten! It sucks that this has happened but there are lessons we should take from this. Who knows. They probably hold the cure for cancer. Not that we'd ever know about it though.

demoniendin
02-22-2006, 11:54 AM
wow, talk about raising the dead! HAHA, I understand what you mean. There's no better way to educate people (especially children) than to give them an up close encounter. I know that I do that with my animals and my little cousins.

I had completely forgotten about this thread... wow!

telula2
02-22-2006, 01:13 PM
Yeah I realized the post was ancient after I sent the reply. Duh!