PDA

View Full Version : Where do I get one??

debcat76135
03-29-2005, 03:21 PM
Ok
I have been reading up on hognoses and really really want one but don't know where to buy one and there is no way I am going to get out and look for a WC as I don't trust my ID ablilty LOL so unless some one who knows snakes well would go with me to look about the woods here thats NOT going to happen LOL So were is a good place to find a normal hognose either estern or western?? I am open to suggestions PLEASE help me find one to call my own. I am going to a herp show in May do you think I might find one there?? :)

Wilomn
03-29-2005, 04:21 PM
The breeding season is just getting underway for those of us who breed these little guys, so babies are few and far between for now.

There are some ads on various sites, including this one, that you can find them on. Just be sure to do a check on the BOI before you buy and ask questions of the seller. What is it eating? How often does it eat? Is it captive born or wild caught? How long have they had it and why are they selling it. Be sure to get a picture of the SPECIFIC snake you will be buying as well.

I'll have babies in July most likely and scales.com may have some even now but will also have some in midsummer.

Good luck, they are one of the best pet snakes.

debcat76135
03-29-2005, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the info. Could you tell me the aravage price range for a hognose? I don't mind spending the money just like to know what price range in normal and all. Also do you think I will run into alot of wild cought snakes?? Is so how can I tell for sure?? Can anyone tell the pro/cons of cb vrs. wc??

I do live on the lake so if these snakes really should eat toads that won't be a big thing for me and I can alway get mice form the also just keep seeing the debates and don't know what is better for them
Thanks for the help

Wilomn
03-29-2005, 05:12 PM
There are quite a few color varieties out there and then there are the morphs as well. I've seen normal babies in the 50.00 to 75.00 range regularly.

If they are hatchlings then most likely they are captive bred. If not you just have to ask lots of questions. The wildcaught ones can be picky eaters. The biggest bonus to captive bred is the willingness to take mice, if you're getting westerns, and the general lack of parasites. The easterns and southerns are pretty but hard to switch over from toads.

Look around and be patient. There will be LOTS of them in just a few months and the ones in the wild will be out and about any time now.

Have fun.

debcat76135
03-29-2005, 06:12 PM
Hi
I can't thank you info for the info!! Thank you!
I will keep my eyes open and am going to look everywhere and I know young snakes will be all about soon but there is no way hubby will let me go snake hunting after all I am a girl and everyone knows girl don't know anything about snakes so I just might decide to pick up a 4 foot rattler and pet it or something right??LOL

Thanks again for the help and if you can think of anything else let me know

Mike Greathouse
03-29-2005, 06:19 PM
Debbie,
I've got a 2004 Male Western Hognose available.
This particular bloodline (produced by Bill Brant) are pinky eaters right out of the shell.
I picked up two pair last year and ended up selling a trio, so I have this one single male.

If you're interested in him, drop me a line at: mike@reptiliandreams.com

http://reptiliandreams.com/2004/photo/whg04m01.jpg

Thank you,

Wilomn
03-29-2005, 08:31 PM
There ya go Deb.

Mike is a great guy and if he says it's a good snake, it is.