PDA

View Full Version : Humidty for Incubator

windex
04-06-2005, 08:48 PM
I have a new cluth of Sambava eggs and need to know what that proper humity level for the incubator should be.......... I have the eggs in moist vermiculite and the level is now at 31%.

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT

dragonflyreptiles
04-07-2005, 07:14 PM
is the level of humidity in the container or the incubator? The humidty for my veileds was at 80% but Im not sure if that is the same for panthers.

I can't find anything that has a % only how to mix the incubation medium and use a tight fitting lid.

Hope this helps (http://www.adcham.com/html/taxonomy/species/fpardalis.html):
Egg incubation: The standard technique involves spacing eggs in a vermiculite-filled container with a tight lid to retain moisture. Perlite can be used also. Vermiculite should be at 400 (0.4 to 0.7 parts water to 1 part dry vermiculite). Incubation varies from 6 months to 12 months (or longer) depending on the temperature, moisture content of the incubation medium and perhaps the locale of origin (climatic variation). If the temperature is kept at 65-78ºF hatching can occur in 6-9 months. The eggs are laid before vascularization and a 3-6 month diapause (no embryo development-dormant) is associated with this species. If incubation temperatures are too high in the early stages of incubation, diapause is extended. It is recommended that temperatures in the mid-high 60's to low 70's be used in the first couple of months with a gradual warming if one wishes to break diapause. Candling of the eggs can determine if the eggs are in diapause (yellow light) or are undergoing vascularization (pink color-blood islets). Eggs incubated at over 80ºF in early incubation can remain in diapause for over 12 months in some cases.

Here is some info by locale:
http://www.chameleonnews.com/year2003/july2003/incubation/incubation.html

windex
04-07-2005, 07:22 PM
All taken care of.........

Thanks for the help

dragonflyreptiles
04-07-2005, 07:27 PM
Wish I knew more, hope they all do well and hatch out for you, the waiting on the long term incubation of the veileds drove me crazy but it was so worth it when they started popping out of the eggs a couple weeks ago lol

windex
04-07-2005, 08:48 PM
Eggies

dragonflyreptiles
04-07-2005, 08:52 PM
Awesome!!! I love eggies lol

lizardguy
10-19-2005, 04:36 PM
What type of incubator are you using. i have the hova bator that does not have a fan. do you think it is esentioal for humidity. i am also getting ambilobe eggs.