PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding feeding of hatchling

Poison Dreams
04-07-2005, 06:52 PM
Let me start off by saying this is my first 'baby' snake. I usually purchase adults, but in this case I found a nice deal on a hatchling and decided to take it. The little girl is very active and healthy, I fed her on Tuesday, about 72 hours after she arrived and was settled well in her enclosure.

Today she was acting very rowdy, so I decided to see if maybe she was hungry, I don't know what clued me in but usually she is just hiding or sunning in her cage and ignores my presence, today when I walked in she hooded up and did the traditional cobra pose so I went and thawed a pinky and sure enough she ate it immediately.

Seeing as this is my first hatchling I had asked the person I bought it from what and when she ate, and was told small pinkies every 7 days. So I had planned to feed her one every seven days, but maybe I should up the amount I am feeding her? Or maybe feed her one every 2-3 days? Anyone have any advice on baby cobra's and their feeding requirements. She is a monocle cobra.

DAND
04-07-2005, 07:42 PM
Congrats on the new little arrival. I wouldn't suggest feeding every 2-3 days, 4-5 would be better. Too often and too much could cause it to regurge.

SerpenXotics
04-08-2005, 12:40 PM
or I also will feed what is seemingly a large meal for my cobras and they have no problem digesting also cobras tend to be a little flighty anyways
PEACE
Joe

snakegetters
04-11-2005, 12:18 AM
Little monocled cobras can be very determined eating machines. They are quite capable of overeating themselves and being sick. A fairly good rule of thumb is one poop, one small food item. They may eliminate fairly rapidly, and that's fine. You can feed them again once they've pooped. Just don't overstuff them all at once, and keep them well hydrated, preferably with a big enough waterbowl for them to swim in as it helps encourage digestion and elimination. They'll poop in it too, which is convenient for cage cleaning.