PDA

View Full Version : Help I think my Dumpy is dieing

krisssusan
04-16-2005, 08:40 PM
I bought two Whites Dumpy Tree frogs about a week ago. I have the perfect set up, directed by the PetSmart staff, I have been offering the frogs food every day (superworms by kelley clamps). The one frog will take the worms with no problems but the other has not taken a bite. I then bought small crickets and powdered them like I should and gave them tothe frogs, I didnt watch all night to see if they ate them but I only see one cricket left in the cage. Whne I looked in the cage today, I was mortified. The one frog that will not take the superworms appears to have lost quite a bit of weight and is very skinny. I just dont know what else to do. If I am offering them food and the set up is correct, what may be the problem? The two frogs that are in there seem to NOT be bothering each other.....?????

viper69
04-17-2005, 01:51 AM
First off Id separate them into different containers. And you DO have a bowl with fresh water for them soak in right? White's like to soak in water daily at least the ones I kept were always like that, despite having a good wet and humid environment. With both in there, you have no idea which frog is eating the crix.
These frogs eat pretty much whatever moves and fits in their mouths almost. I even had one leap after my finger once haha.
Personally Id feed them crickets myself. This loss of weight you mention overnight. I am unsure about. A few pictures would help.
Is the coloration of the "sick" frog the same as the healthy one? What colors are you generally seeing w/the sick one?

krisssusan
04-17-2005, 07:52 AM
The one dumpy is brown (that one seems fine) the other dumpy is green. I have two bowls with water in them for them and I bought the same size they had in the pet store, the green dumpy was soaking in the one in the pet store when I bought it. Checked on them this morning again and neither one has moved from where they sat last night when I went to bed at 1100 pm. I mist them several times a day.

viper69
04-17-2005, 05:34 PM
You should try and get a fecal sample to a vet, and see what you find if anything.

I would def. separate them for now. The colors are fine..they go from green to brown varyign with lighting, and temps. Sometimes it seems w/no apparent reason either. How are the sicks ones eyes? Recessed or not, any abnormal looking shapes, and how is belly and legs undersides...all uniformally white? or discolored?

CrazyRhacos
04-17-2005, 09:43 PM
what i do with my dumpys is put them in a little cage with nothing in it when i feed them they arnt the best of hunters so it makes it easyier on them and i know for sure they eat the little crickets. some of my frogs wont sit in the water but some will all day long.so u dont have to worry about them sitting in there espesially if u mist them.but what i would try is to put them in like a glad tuperwear and put the frogs and crix in their and watch them eat.(it is fun watching them eat lol) :hehe: and as for the coloring it sounds fine the one that is browns is on the ground or in the water most of the time and the one thats green is in the tree most of the time right .if not correct me thats what mine are always like.hope this helps you out.