PDA

View Full Version : Sri Lankan Pythons

madamwlf
05-13-2005, 11:24 AM
I"m trying to find information on Sri Lankan pythons. I have a pair that I want to sell and I know they are a protected species. These are CB pythons. So I'm trying to find information on how I can go about selling the pair. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jeannie

Wildkingdom
05-14-2005, 08:59 AM
"The large python of South Asia is the Asiatic rock python, Python molurus. Two subspecies exist, the Indian rock python, Python molurus molurus, which is confined to Pakistan, peninsula India and Sri Lanka (the former Sri Lankan subspecies Python molurus pimbura is no longer considered a valid subspecies), and the Burmese rock python, Python molurus bivittatus, which, as its name suggests, comes from S.E.Asia where it is over-shadowed in size by the Reticulated Python, Python reticulatus (see 3:3 Siamese Crocodile)."

This is a quote from the website http://www.markoshea.tv/series3/series03-02a.html

I don't have any selling suggestions, per se, but I looked at your pair as I am thinking about getting into breeding, and the little research I did pointed me toward the conclusion that they are the snake known as Indian pythons, also called Asian rock pythons (http://www.zoo.org/educate/fact_sheets/python/python.htm)

Please bear in mind that I don't have a great deal of snake experience or knowledge, was simply trying to figure out whether I was interested in buying and breeding your pair. Maybe someone with more experience can confirm or refute this, but I gather you should be identifying them as "Indian or Asian rock pythons, Sri Lanka locality.

Good luck,
Sarah

Wildkingdom
05-14-2005, 12:57 PM
In going to Kingsnake and looking for your ad again (I can't really remember where I have seen it) I saw another ad for an individual "Sri Lanka or Ceylon" python, which made me check again.

Python m. pimbura is known as the Ceylon python. Can't remember where that is what you actually have or not.

Sarah

madamwlf
05-16-2005, 10:08 PM
I haven't actually posted my snakes yet. I will be soon though. They were sold to me as Sri Lankan pythons so that's what I was going to go by. I can't find that much information on them.