PDA

View Full Version : Green Anaconda

cowboyman13
05-14-2005, 09:24 AM
I ran across a couple of green anacondas for sale this weekend for about $90 to $125 for one. It got me to thinking on what would it take to keep one of these. They have a rep for being very aggresive and i am guessing that the care for one of these would be very demanding. How would you house a snake that could reach over 20 feet in length. I was wondering if anyone here owned one or had experince with keeping one.

DAND
05-15-2005, 08:17 AM
Like all snakes, if you work with them you can overcome their aggrressive ways. Anacondas don't grow as fast as other boas. They are a lot more aquatic too. You'll need a rather large water source for them when the get larger. They don't move too well on land when they get larger and the water "lightens the load". Obviously you'll need a large enough area to house them in.

lefty_mussolini
05-16-2005, 04:41 AM
Got a spare room? :)

cowboyman13
05-17-2005, 01:22 PM
I was just amazed at how easy it was to pick up one of these to keep as a pet. The two i seen for sale where at a fleamarket. The folks selling them where all to happy to send them home with anyone who could produce the cash wheter you knew anything about them or not. It was a little scary thinking someone would take home one of these thinking it would be a good pet and find out there is know way the could keep up with feeding and housing one of these. Reminds me of people taking home fish from the petstore only to find out there 20 gallon tank wont hold a 13 inch catfish because it grew up.

Ben_Renick
05-20-2005, 01:34 PM
Hello,
I own a pair of Anacondas, an 8' Green Anaconda and a 10' Hybrid Green x Yellow Anaconda. I can honestly say that they are a lot of work and mantenence. They do require a lot of room, but no more than a Retic or Burm would really. My Anacondas are in 8' long x 30" Wide x 2' High cages and can live in them for quite some time. At least until about 16 feet. My 8' Male Green is very tame and I have had it since it was about 2 weeks old, it's very calm and doesn't mind being handled at all. My 10' Green x Yellow Anaconda isn't what you would call calm, and it's very hard to move around, it's not very snappy, but pretty squirmy. Anacondas are great snakes as long as you get the right one, and have a lot of spare time on your hands.:) I have pics of the snakes and cages if you want them. If there are any questions, I will be happy to answer them! I know this post is a little late, but it will do.:)
~Ben

cowboyman13
05-31-2005, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the reply Ben. It is intresting to hear from someone who has some experince in keeping them. They are a little on the big side for me. Right now ill stick with my corns.